Sky TV packages & prices
Compare the latest Sky TV packages, deals and offers for December 2013 using our Ofcom approved price comparison to find the best range of channels and features.
Buyers guide to Sky TV
If you’re thinking about buying a Sky TV package, our detailed and impartial buyers guide can help you decide which collection of channels is the right one for you.
We examine the different choices available to you, including dedicated sports, movies and entertainment bundles.
Why choose Sky TV?
Sky have established a strong reputation as a supplier of satellite TV. Their channel line-up includes a range of exclusive programming that you can’t find anywhere else.
As a satellite broadcaster, Sky is available throughout the UK, meaning availability shouldn’t be a concern wherever you are.
What are my options?
There are three entertainment packages available, each with an increasing number of channels included:
- Sky Entertainment
- Sky Entertainment Extra
- Sky Entertainment Extra+
You can also add Sky Movies or Sky Sports to your channel line-up, and choose between either Sky+HD or Sky+HD 2TB box. Both features built in Wi-Fi, are HD and 3D ready, features an interactive programme guide, parental controls and reminder settings.
With them, you can pause, rewind and play live TV, series link your favourite programmes, record two channels at once and set your box to record remotely. You get up to 350 hours of recording space with the Sky+HD box, and approximately double that with the Sky+HD 2TB box.
Which package is right for me?
Finding the right TV package for you will be determined by what you want from your Sky channels. Other factors include:
- Your budget
- If you want to pay extra for Sky Movies
- If you want to pay extra for Sky Sports
- If you want to access either the sports or movie channels in HD or 3D
The Sky Entertainment Pack is a good choice for casual TV viewers and includes 36+ lifestyle and entertainment channels, plus 240 free to air channels.
Sky Entertainment Extra is a mid-range option, which in addition to the 240 free channels found in Sky Entertainment, has 80 standard definition and 8 HD channels.
The most comprehensive range of entertainment channels, Sky Entertainment Extra+, includes 80+ SD and 45 HD channels, plus access to Sky Movies and Sky Sports in HD, as well as Sky 3D programming.
We think that the Sky Entertainment Extra Pack provides a good balance of channels at a reasonable price, with the flexibility to expand your subscription if you end up wanting more.
Six essential questions before you buy
Before you commit to a contract, you should ask yourself these six important questions:
- Do you already have or can you get a Sky dish installed at home?
- Are you happy with committing to a 12 month contract for your TV line-up?
- Do you want Sky Sports in HD?
- Have you checked if a bundle of broadband, TV and phone would be better value?
- Does Sky offer the right mix of channels and programmes for you?
- Are you likely to use Sky Multiscreen in another room or on a mobile device?
What will I need?
To get Sky TV you’ll need:
- A subscription (minimum 12 months) to one of Sky’s TV packages
- A satellite dish installed on an external wall of your home
- A Sky+HD box, connected to a telephone landline
All the technology and hardware you’ll need is provided by Sky, and will be installed by an engineer during their visit.
How do I switch to Sky?
Switching to Sky TV should be a straightforward process. The company aims to complete your installation as early as six days after you contact them, or within two weeks of getting in touch.
If you switch your phone line when you join Sky, you’ll start paying line rental at £15.40 per month and pay a one-off connection fee of £10. You’ll no longer pay line rental to your existing provider and may be able to keep your old number.
Inclusive phone calls
If you sign up for Sky line rental, the monthly fee includes unlimited weekend calls to UK landlines, plus unlimited calls to Sky contact centres. You can also add Sky Talk Anytime UK to get unlimited UK landline and 0845 / 0870 calls.
Bills and payments
You’ll pay you Sky bill once a month. This payment will cover your TV package, plus another other services you sign up for, such as broadband or home phone line. You can choose to receive your bills either electronically or through the post. You also have the option of viewing your bill on your TV under the Interactive services on your Sky+HD box.
Payments to Sky can be made by Direct Debit, with your credit or debit card, cheque, via online banking or over the counter at the Post Office. If you opt to pay with any other method than Direct Debit, you’ll be charged 50p extra for each bill.
Can I make changes to my services?
You can change your package after 30 days. If you benefited from any discounts or special offers when signing up, you may lose them depending on the changes you make. You can add broadband and phone to your Sky TV subscription at any time. If you do so, you’ll trigger a new 12 or 18 month contract for all your services, depending on what you add.
How do I sign up?
- Compare the different TV packages that are available. You should consider all the issues raised in this guide, and also look out for any special offers that Sky may be promoting.
- Click on the See Deal button next to your package. You’ll then be transferred to the Sky online shop where you can complete your sign up. Sky uses a secure ordering system, so your can be confident that your personal information is protected and safe throughout the process.