Can I get Virgin Media in my area?
- Coverage and availability
- Postcode checker
- Not available in your area?
- Good to know
- Your comments (74)
Virgin Media coverage
According to Virgin Media’s own advertising they can currently offer cable services including Virgin Media TV and fibre optic broadband to just over half of all homes and businesses in the UK. Plans are underway to increase the coverage of the cable network significantly in the coming years.
The quickest way to find out which Virgin Media services are available in your area is to use our Virgin Media availability checker below.
Once you enter your postcode we’ll perform a live check to see if you live in a cabled area and show you a list of all of the different packages that are available to you.
Why isn’t it available everywhere?
The Virgin cable rollout is an ongoing process that sees many new homes being connected to the Virgin Media cable network each month. Connecting a new area involves a lot of investment and work by Virgin’s engineers so expansion of the network can sometimes seem like it’s moving very slowly.
Virgin is very vocal in its ambition to connect as much of the country as possible to its cable network in the coming months and years so even if you find that your area isn’t part of the cable network right now then, all being well, it will be soon.
What if I can’t get Virgin Media?
If you live in an area that isn’t connected to the cable network then you won’t be able to sign up for Virgin Media TV or fibre optic broadband but you should still be able to get one of its National Broadband.
National broadband (or non-cable broadband) is offered across the BT’s existing phone network. The maximum download speed is 20Mbps and it’s available with a range of monthly download allowances of 10GB, 40GB or unlimited. Each of Virgin’s National Broadband packages is available as a standalone package or as a bundle with inclusive calls.
Cheapest Virgin Media broadband package
Take a look at our Virgin Media broadband comparison as Virgin change their broadband packages, prices, deals and offers on a regular basis.
Things you should know:
- You must be 18 years of age to sign up for Virgin Media.
- You will have to switch your phone line to Virgin when you subscribe to Virgin Media cable packages but you can usually keep your existing phone number by completing the “keeping your own number” section of the sign up form.
- Virgin Media recommends that you set up a direct debit to pay your monthly bill. They do accept payment by credit card, debit card, cheque or at any PayPoint outlet but doing so will mean you’ll have to pay a £5 surcharge each month.
- Any Virgin Media price advertised on this site or anywhere else online will be the reduced direct debit price.
- If you sign up to pay by Direct Debit Virgin Media will run a UK credit check on you.
- If you have lived at your current home for less than three years you will have to give Virgin Media your previous address as well.
- Most Virgin Media contracts now run for 18 months. When you compare the different Virgin Media packages and bundles on our site we will clearly show you the contract length of each.
- If you live in a rented home you will have to get written permission from your landlord before your installation can take place.
- Sign up is handled directly by Virgin Media on their own secure servers.
- You will have to pay £1.25 each month if you want to receive paper bills instead of electronic bills.
- If you live in a non-cable area you will need an active BT phone line if you want to sign up for Virgin Media national broadband.
How long does installation take?
Once you’ve selected a package or bundle it will only take you a few minutes to join Virgin Media. You can complete the sign up process online and you will receive a confirmation email directly from them within 48 hours.
Your confirmation email will also include details of when Virgin’s engineer will come to install your chosen services. If the date they give you isn’t convenient just reply to your confirmation with a date that suits you better.
On average Virgin will try to make sure your installation takes place within 10 days of you signing up, although at busier times of the year such as in the run up to Christmas or a major sporting event it may take longer.
As Virgin’s engineer will need access to both the inside and outside of your property to complete your installation someone you will have to be at home throughout the whole process.
Areas with a Virgin Media presence
London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Stoke-on-Trent, Southampton
Derby, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Leicester, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Derbyshire.
Lancashire, Liverpool, Cheshire, Trafford, Manchester, Wirral, Tameside, Wigan, Bolton, St Helens, Blackburn, Salford, Blackpool, Sefton, Stockport, Bury, Oldham, Halton, Rochdale, Knowsley, Warrington.
Oxfordshire, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire, Kent, Southampton, Bracknell Forest, Reading, Medway Towns, Slough, Portsmouth, West Sussex, London, Milton Keynes, Brighton and Hove, Windsor and Maidenhead, West Berkshire, Wiltshire, Wokingham.
Birmingham, Shropshire, Walsall, Coventry, Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Sandwell, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Stoke on Trent, Solihull, Telford.
York, Bradford, Leeds, Sheffield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Kirklees, Calderdale, Wakefield, Lincolnshire, Rotherham.
For more details visit virginmedia.com or call them on 0800 118 2761.
Why do we need your postcode?
Once you enter your postcode, Cable.co.uk will perform a live lookup and check all the available providers in your area.
This ensures you receive accurate information on the availability of providers and packages in your area.
Your information is safe with us. We won't share your postcode with anyone. Guaranteed.