Cable.co.uk's annual Broadband Service Quality Awards – 2016 winners announced
- The winners of our 15 awards were decided by 6,000 UK broadband customers along with an in-house team of six broadband experts
- Plusnet won the most awards, scooping four in total, including the coveted 'Best Provider' award
- Full details of this year's winners are available on our Broadband Service Quality Awards 2016 page
Monday 21 November 2016 Broadband, TV and phone comparator, and consumer champion Cable.co.uk has announced the winners of its second annual Broadband Service Quality Awards.
Chosen by more than 6,000 UK broadband customers along with a panel of six in-house experts, the 15 awards recognise and reward the broadband providers that have exhibited the greatest excellence in the areas that matter most to consumers.
Plusnet stormed this year’s awards, winning four of the five gongs chosen by customers. Those who pay for the Yorkshire-based provider’s services awarded it the highest average marks overall, meaning it has won the title Best Provider for a second year running.
Other winners include Virgin Media, which won three awards – Best Equipment, Fastest Widely Available Broadband and Best Broadband-only Package – and BT, which also had three wins, for Best Broadband and Phone, Best Business Broadband and Best Deal.
Scottish company TenTel was named this year’s 'Rising Star', as a result of its work offering contract-free broadband and home phone without credit checks.
This year’s Extra Mile award went to Poole-based VoIP Unlimited in recognition for creating a bespoke wireless network to connect a new state-of-the-art fossil museum on Dorset’s remote Jurassic Coast with enthusiasts around the world.
For details of the winners, see below. For more information and descriptions of each category visit our Cable.co.uk Broadband Service Quality Awards 2016 page.
Commenting on the research results, Dan Howdle, consumer telecoms expert and Director of Communications at Cable.co.uk, said:
"Broadband provision in the UK has a long way to go until it is adequate and fair to everyone no matter their budget or their location, but strides are being made: More properties are being reached, and in the case of our Extra Mile Award winner VoIP Unlimited, unconventional solutions are being found to tricky geographical problems.
"The UK is very lucky to have one of the world’s most competitive and diverse broadband marketplaces. With four main players and dozens upon dozens of smaller providers, the boundaries of what is possible, and the service levels we as customers can expect, are forever on the rise.
“This year’s winners – both those picked by their customers and those picked by our panel – have risen to the challenge and achieved something truly magnificent. These awards are in honour of their excellence.”
Cable.co.uk Broadband Service Quality Awards 2016 winners in full:
- Best Provider (as voted by consumers) – Plusnet
- Best Equipment (as voted by consumers) – Virgin Media
- Best Customer Service (as voted by consumers) – Plusnet
- Best Reliability (as voted by consumers) – Plusnet
- Best Value (as voted by consumers) – Plusnet
- Fastest Widely Available Broadband (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – Virgin Media
- Best Broadband and Phone (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – BT
- Best Broadband-only Package (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – Virgin Media 100Mb
- Best Inclusive Calls (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – EE
- Best Bundle – broadband, TV and phone (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – The Sky Box Sets Bundle
- Best Business Broadband (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – BT
- Best Website (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – Sky
- Extra Mile (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – VoIP Unlimited
- Rising Star (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – TenTel
- Best Deal (as voted by Cable.co.uk) – BT
Notes to editors
- In order to decide the winners of Cable.co.uk’s customer-chosen awards, Cable.co.uk commissioned OnePoll to interview 6,000 UK broadband customers between 13 October and 19 October 2016
- Only providers with ratings from at least 300 customers could win one of the customer-chosen awards
- If using our research and/or commentary we would deeply appreciate a link either to this page or to https://www.cable.co.uk
What is Cable?
Cable is a broadband, TV and phone comparator, unique news source and consumer champion.
Dan Howdle has been plugged into the attitudes of UK broadband, TV and mobile customers for over two decades, running research fieldwork both nationally and internationally on behalf of the biggest players in the industry. Dan is now consumer telecoms analyst at Cable, as well as more formally operating in the role of its Director of Communications and Content.
An experienced broadcaster, commentator and writer, Dan has appeared on BBC TV and radio, ITV, Sky and in the national papers. Dan has advised Ofcom on issues surrounding service quality, administered Cable’s Broadband Service Quality Awards and sat on the panel of judges for the Internet Service Providers Association annual awards.