How to get Sky One
By Tim Smith | Thursday, October 15th 2020
Sky One is a British digital television channel offered in SD and HD and is part of Sky TV. It offers a range of light entertainment, comedy, documentary, light drama and film programming both original and imported.
Sky One is available to consumers in the UK on several platforms, including as part of broadband deals, via a satellite dish, via mobile apps and using and add-on 'stick' that plugs into your TV's HDMI slot.
What it Sky One?
Sky One is a British digital pay TV channel that began life in the late 1980s. it now comes in both Standard Definition (SD) and also High Definition (HD). It is available to viewers who pay an annual subscription to Sky TV, and via a number of other outlets including short-term subscriptions via the NowTV service. Sky considers it to be a flagship channel, and it us funded by subscription and advertising.
Sky One an entertainment TV channel aimed at grown-up viewers (there are eight other Sky Kids channels for that). It features new and repeated content both imported and self-produced including comedy panel shows, sports, drama, light documentary shows, and The Simpsons.
How do I get Sky One?
Sky One is a digital TV channel in both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) flavours. The first thing you need to know is that you can't receive Sky One via a FreeView or FreeSat box or enabled device. You have to get a subscription and also, unless your smart-TV supports it directly, an additional piece of hardware.
There are several ways to receive the Sky One TV channel on your television, computer, smartphone or tablet device. Here are the main propositions:
Sky TV via a satellite dish
You don't have to have broadband. It is still possible to get Sky One supplied to your home using a satellite dish attached to your building and connected to a Sky TV receiver called a Sky Q box.
Sky TV and broadband subscription
Sky doesn't just produce and broadcast TV in the UK, it is also a major supplier of broadband internet. A major incentive to take Sky One is that you can take it as part of your home Superfast broadband deal.
Sky offers several subscription levels for its broadband and TV deals, all of which come with Sky One. They all require you to take a Sky broadband hub, this gets the internet into your home. It also provides the wifi signal to use around your home. You also get a Sky Q box, which is responsible for the supply of TV. This plugs into you television and into the broadband hub.
The Sky Go app
Sky One is available via the Sky Go app (available on the Apple App Store and Google Play for Android, and using your Windows PC or Apple Mac. Sky Go enables you to watch Sky One and other Sky channels 'on the go' using your exiting Sky TV subscription.
Sky also owns Now TV, which offers a variety of non-contract TV deals either by software/app or through the Now TV stick that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Once you've chosen your TV package you can also watch on your tablet device and computer.
TalkTalk TV subscription
Sky One is available as an add-on for your TalkTalk TV package.TalkTalk TV can be taken up if you're a TalkTalk broadband customer and provides predominantly Freeview channels via a YouView set-top box.
Virgin TV subscription
Sky One is available as an add-on for your Virgin TV package. TV channels are delivered via Virgin's branded V6 TV box. For the most part these are Freeview channels to which you can add Sky One among other pay TV channels.
BT TV subscription
Sky One is available as an add-on for your BT TV package. So is Now TV, which enables you to watch Sky TV channels including Sky One without the need for a contract. BT TV is supplied with its own BT TV box that can connect to an aerial or straight to your BT broadband hub.
Using a games console
Sky One is available to view using your Xbox One or Playstation 4 using a downloadable app. You will need a Sky TV subscription. At the time of writing the Xbox Series X and Series S, and the Playstation 5 Sky TV apps are unconfirmed.
What shows can I watch on Sky One?
Sky One is a light entertainment channel aimed at adults rather than kids. It broadcasts a mix of original and imported programming. You can see new and repeated shows including light drama (cop and crime procedural shows), comedy, panel games, sports (WWE is notable), and documentary programming. Here are some of the most popular TV shows available on Sky One.
- The Simpsons – A comedy cartoon about a family in Springfield, USA would be the simple way to describe this hugely successful show. It has been broadcast via Sky since it debuted in 1989. At the time of writing, The Simpsons is on its 32nd series
- A League of Their Own – A British sport-centric panel quiz show that began life on Sky One in 2010. Throughout its 15 series it has featured hosts and guests including: James Corden, former cricketer Freddie Flintoff, and former football player Jamie Redknapp, comedians Romesh Ranganathan and Jack Whitehall, boxer Nicola Adams, and athlete Jessica Ennis-Hill
- An Idiot Abroad – This was another Sky One-made show that is regularly repeated on the channel. It features Ricky Gervais side-man and self-proclaimed 'idiot', Karl Pilkington who travels the world generally being confused, bewildered, angered. He reports back to Gervais and Stephen Merchant
- Hawaii Five-O – A remade version of the classic 1970s US cop show set in the great state of Hawaii. This version of the show debuted in 2010
- Soccer AM – This is a Saturday morning football comedy/talk show that features guest from soccer and other sports, and deals with the sport in a lighthearted way
- Brave New World – A 2020 Sky One produced series based on Aldous Huxley's 1932 dystopian novel of the same name. This series is notorious for its heavily featured nudity
- Terry Pratchett's Hogfather – Based on the Disc World fantasy novels by Terry Pratchett, this is a Christmas show that has popped up on Sky One during the festive season since it was first broadcast in December 2006
What do I need to watch Sky One?
Most importantly for watching Sky One is a subscription to Sky TV. This can be achieved as an add-on to your Sky, BT, Virgin, and Talk Talk broadband deals. It is also available via Now TV. You can also receive Sky One via a satellite attached to your home (check with your landlord if you're renting). Once you have a subscription you can use the following:
- Sky TV box – If you have signed a Sky TV or Sky broadband plus TV deal, you will receive Sky Q box that will enable you to watch Sky One
- Xbox One – Once you have your subscription you can watch via your Xbox One using an additional app
- Playstation 4 – Once you have your subscription you can watch via your Playstation 4 using an additional app
- Now TV – You can watch Sky One using a Now TV pass (a non-contract package deal) via software or a Now TV stick that plugs into your TV
Frequently asked questions
How much does Sky One cost?
Because there are a number of ways that you can view Sky One, this is a difficult question. For example, you can watch via a one-day Now TV pass or via an annual Sky TV subscription. The best thing to do is check out our Sky TV comparison.
Do I need additional hardware to watch Sky One?
You don't need extra hardware to watch Sky One on your computer, smartphone or tablet, or if you already have a TV deal with Talk Talk, Virgin or BT. You do need a subscription though. If you want to watch Sky One using a Sky broadband deal you will receive a new hardware box. If you wish you watch Sky One without any of these options, you will need a satellite dish and a Sky Q box.
Does Sky One have any kids' shows?
Not really no. Not for smaller kids. Sky One is aimed at grown-up viewers.
How many devices can I watch Sky One on at the same time?
Sky One comes as part of Sky TV's multi-device Sky Go deals. These enable you to watch Sky One on up to six devices (smartphones, tablets, computers) simultaneously. You can also use Sky's Q Mini boxes in your home to connect more TVs in other rooms. You can purchase additional Mini Q boxes online for as little as £20.