Your essential guide to broadband without a phone line
- Your options
- Home broadband
- Which one's right for me?
- Availability & coverage
- How do I get it?
- What you need to know
- Your comments
There are two options for broadband without a phone line in the UK; a fixed cable line from Virgin Media or a mobile broadband package. The two systems are very different and both have their own strengths and weaknesses so let’s begin by taking a look at each in turn.
Virgin Media is the only provider that offers home broadband without a phone line in the UK but they are only able to do so to areas that are connected to its fibre optic network.
With Virgin Media broadband you can select from a range of connection speeds including up to 10Mbps, 30Mbps, 50Mbps and in some areas up to 100Mbps, which is the fastest broadband service currently available in the country.
All packages come with an inclusive wireless router and an unlimited monthly download allowance, subject to the terms of Virgin’s fair usage policy and they are offered on 12 or 18-month contracts.
- Superfast up to 100Mb broadband
- Actual speeds close to advertised “up to” speeds
- Unlimited monthly downloads
- Can only be used close to your home
- Only available in cable areas
- 12 or 18 month contract
If you live in an area that is not connected to the Virgin fibre optic network then your only option for broadband without a phone line is mobile broadband.
With mobile broadband maximum download speeds range from 3.6Mbps to 7.2Mbps and monthly download allowances of 1GB to 15GB. To receive a mobile broadband service you must live in an area with good 3G coverage.
There are several different providers that offer mobile broadband in the UK on a range of contract options ranging from 1 – 24 months, or contract free if you prefer.
- Truly mobile - browse the web anywhere
- Flexible – you don’t have to be at home
- Ideal for holiday or business trips
- Much slower than home broadband
- May not work everywhere
- Smaller monthly download allowances
Which one's right for me?
The type of broadband without a phone line that is right for you depends upon your circumstances and your needs.
Home broadband from Virgin is right for you if you want a fast “always on” broadband connection that comes with unlimited downloads to let you download music and movies and spend as much time online as you like without incurring any extra charges.
Mobile broadband is right for you if you live outside of the Virgin Media cable area or if you’re a light user who only needs broadband for occasional browsing and social networking, especially if you need to do so when you’re not at home.
Mobile broadband is also a great alternative for people who:
- Live in a shared house, such as students
- Live in a caravan or houseboat
- Can’t get a phone line where they live
- Don’t use a landline enough to justify the cost
- Have a landline but want to get rid of it
- Use their mobile phone for all calls
Availability & coverage
Home broadband without a phone line is only available in areas connected to the Virgin Media fibre optic network. Currently this network can reach just over half of all homes in the UK with this figure set to rise steadily over the coming months and years as the Virgin Media roll out continues.
Mobile broadband is available across a lot of the country although coverage can vary from provider to provider, especially in less densely populated areas.
Other factors can affect your mobile broadband service such as how far your home is from the nearest 3G mast, how many people in your area are using the 3G network at any given time and the type of building you are in.
How do I get it?
The first thing you should do is to check which broadband without a phone line packages are available in your area. You can do this quickly and easily using our postcode checker. Once you do we’ll be able to show you a list of which providers, packages and deals are available in your area and give you a complete breakdown of the cost of each.
When you’ve found the package that suits you best just click “See Deal” to the right of your chosen package. We’ll then transfer you directly to the site of your chosen provider where you can sign up quickly, easily and completely securely.Compare broadband without a phone line »
What you need to know
- Home broadband without a phone line is only offered by Virgin Media in the UK and only in areas that are part of the Virgin Media fibre optic network
- It is available with “up to” speeds of 10Mbps, 30Mbps, 50Mbps and 100Mbps
- If you don’t live in Virgin Media area you can still get a form of broadband without a phone line by taking up a 3G mobile broadband service from a mobile phone provider such as 3 or T-Mobile
- Mobile broadband is slower than home broadband at up to 7.2Mbps
Why do we need your postcode?
Once you enter your postcode, Cable.co.uk will perform a live lookup and check all the available providers in your area.
This ensures you receive accurate information on the availability of providers and packages in your area.
Your information is safe with us. We won't share your postcode with anyone. Guaranteed.