EE TV and broadband deals
By Dan Howdle | Sunday, February 4th 2018
In this guide
You can only get EE TV if you get EE broadband. If nothing else, that'll be the one thing you need to be aware of. As an upgrade or bundle option for someone who either has or is getting EE broadband, though, it might not quite stack up against the likes of Sky and Virgin Media, but you could do definitely worse than EE TV.
It offers over 70 Freeview channels, with 11 of them in HD. But it's the box that really sells it. You can pause and rewind live TV, record up to four channels at once and bolt on not only additional channels such as Sky Cinema and Sky Sports, but also apps like NOW TV. It's a solid base platform, basically, on top of which you can add what you like.
What is EE TV?
In essence, EE TV is a set-top box you can get if you subscribe to EE broadband. You'll need a TV aerial to get terrestrial/Freeview, and an internet cable or wifi signal to access the additional/on-demand stuff like NOW TV. Here's a quick breakdown of its headline features.
- Over 70 Freeview channels – Truth be told, there are dozens of ways you can get Freeview TV. You just need a TV aerial and a compatible TV or Freeview box. So what EE TV is offering here isn't really all that special. However, combined with the box itself, it allows you to schedule and record your favourite shows as well as pause and rewind live TV
- Bolt on what you like – From the basic EE TV platform , you can add on a whole bunch of more premium stuff, including Sky Sports, BT Sport, Sky Cinema, NOW TV and more. Plus you can load various apps onto the box such as BBC iPlayer and YouTube, giving you even more stuff to watch
- The EE TV set-top box – This is a capable little machine. Not as capable as Sky Q or the Virgin V6 box, but certainly light years ahead of the basic YouView boxes offered on entry-level packages from BT, Plusnet and TalkTalk
- Watch on your mobile or tablet – All your Freeview channels, plus whatever additional subscriptions you layer on top can be viewed via your EE TV app on your Android or iOS phone or tablet
What channels will I get?
These can be split roughly into two categories: Channels you will get via your TV aerial (Freeview) and those you'll get via an app, via your internet connection. What follows are all Freeview channels via your aerial, with the final section here outlining the available apps.
- Entertainment – BBC ONE HD, BBC TWO HD, BBC FOUR HD, Blaze, BT Showcase, CBS Action, CBS Drama, CBS Reality, Challenge, Channel 4 HD, 4seven HD, Channel 5 HD, 5 USA, 5 Select, My5, Community Channel, Create & Craft, Dave, Drama, E4, Food Network, Gems TV, Hochanda, Home, Horror Channel, Ideal World, ITV HD, ITV 2, ITV 3, ITV 4, ITVBe, Jewellery Maker, More 4, Pick, Quest, QVC, QVC Beauty HD, Really, Rishtey Europe, Rocks & Co, S4C, Spike, Talking Pictures TV, TBN UK, The Store, TJC, TLC, Travel Channel, True Crime, True Entertainment, truTV, Yesterday, Your TV
- Children's – CBBC HD, CBeebies HD, CITV, Pop, Tiny Pop, Kix TV, Ketchup
- News – Al Jazeera Eng HD, BBC News HD, BBC News, BBC Parliament, RT HD, Sky News
- National – BBC ALBA, STV HD, TG4, RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, UTV HD
- Movies – Film4, Movie Mix, movies4men, Sony Movie Channel
- Music – Capital Music, VIVA, 4 Music, The Box, Kiss, Box Hits, Magic, NOW Music, Kerrang
- On-demand apps – NOW TV, BBC iPlayer, YouTube, BBC Sport, Hayu, Rakuten TV, TV PLayer Plus, Hopster, BBC News, The Box Plus, BBC Three, Couchplay Games, Love Nature, Viewster, MUBI, Gemporia, Pop TV, Happy Kids TV, Smart Kids TV, Baby Channel, Bada Namu, Cool School, France 24, Euronews, Meteo News, Al Arabia, Al Jazeera, The Weather Network, Fishing TV, Plex, DailyMotion, NRJ, Deezer, Cinefun TV, So French TV
The EE TV set-top box
EE's set-top box is not only pretty good, but also quite compact compared to some of its closest competitors. It comes with decent storage and enough tuners to ensure you'll never miss anything you want to watch. Let's take a quick look at its features.
- Four tuners – The number of tuners on a set-top box denotes how many programmes it can access at once. So, with four tuners you could be watching one channel while recording three others, or recording four channels while doing something else
- 1TB of storage space – This'll allow room for recording around 600 hours of standard definition (SD) content and around 300 hours of high definition (HD) content
- Pause and rewind live TV – The box will automatically record anything you're watching, allowing you to treat it like a recording. Obviously, the one thing you won't be able to do with live TV is fast forward
- Add third-party subscriptions – The box isn't just a receiver for Freeview channels, as the basic YouView boxes are (offered by some other providers). No, the EE TV box is essentially a computer, allowing you to load apps onto it that will provide you access to a host of additional content – sometimes at additional cost, sometimes not. We've put together a full list of available apps on EE TV in the section above
Which other providers offer TV?
- Virgin Media – Virgin Media's TV offering is substantial. Some 400 channel, plus countless on-demand movies and sports offerings. But it's also not cheap. If you really must have that level of choice, it's Virgin or Sky, but for everyone else, EE TV will satisfy
- Sky – Sky TV offers the most complete TV service out there. But again, it will cost you. Its entry-level entertainment pack will deliver a lot of channels, but you'll need to pay substantially on top of that to get to the good stuff – your Sky Sports and Sky Cinema
- BT – Though late to the TV party, BT TV is playing a decent game of catch-up. There's more on offer here than with EE TV, but still substantially less than Sky or Virgin. Perhaps the best features of BT TV are BT Sport and the ability to add Sky Cinema and Sky Sports
- TalkTalk – Has a couple of different YouView boxes on offer – one that records, one that doesn't. Like EE TV it's best described as 'Freeview plus'. All your basic Freeview channels with a host of additional services available that you can subscribe to and layer on top
- NOW TV – Is the odd man out here. There is a NOW TV box if you don't have any other means of using the app. However, the NOW TV app is available all over the place – smart TVs, games consoles, streaming sticks, Apple TV – and delivers the lion's share of Sky's best including Sky Sports, Sky Cinema and Sky Entertainment. Note that these three subscriptions are separate and cost different amounts, with Sky Sports being particularly expensive
Frequently asked questions
What channels are there on EE TV?
For a complete run-through of the available channels and downloadable apps on EE TV, scroll up to the section marked 'Chat channels will I get?'.
Does EE do TV packages?
What EE TV delivers is primarily Freeview, and you can only get EE TV if you are an EE broadband customer. It's difficult therefore to call it a subscription in the traditional sense. What it offers is more a box with a host of useful features to help you better enjoy the telly you already watch.
Can I get Sky One on EE TV?
Yes. But you will need an additional NOW TV subscription to do so.
Can I get NOW TV on EE TV?
Yes. NOW TV has a compatible app on the EE TV set-top box.
Do you need an aerial for EE TV?
Yes. The majority of what EE TV offers is Freeview, which is delivered over the airwaves to the aerial mounted on your roof, just like back in the old days.
Can you record on EE TV?
Yes. The EE TV box allows you to record up to four programmes at once (or record three and watch a fourth). Storage-wise you'll get 1TB, which is enough room for 300 hours of high definition (HD) content and 600 hours of standard definition (SD) content.
Can I watch Sky Sports on EE TV?
Yes. But you will have to subscribe to Sky Sports additionally through NOW TV once you have the box under your telly. It is not included in the base price. This can work out quite expensive.
Can I watch Sky Atlantic on EE TV?
Yes. By subscribing to NOW TV's Entertainment Pass, you will be able to watch everything Sky Atlantic has to offer, as well as other live Sky TV channels, and you'll have access to over 300 Sky Box Sets. And it's pretty cheap too.
Want to learn more about TV?
Our TV guides contain a wealth of information on just about every aspect of current TV packages.