Dan Howdle | January 3rd, 2024
Here's our monthly breakdown of the best broadband deals out there. January will be a busy month, so expect this page to be updated as the month goes on.
This is simply the deal we feel is best overall. This month it's this deal from Virgin Media, which only three in five households are able to get. For that reason you should check if you can get Virgin Media using our postcode checker.
If you saw last month's roundup, you may have noticed our top recommendation (best deal) hasn't changed. It's still Virgin Media's M125. It's tough to beat even when there aren't any special offers on with this package. 132Mbps hits a nice sweet spot where it's fast enough for almost any household while ensuring you don't overpay for broadband speed you'll never use. The £95 bill credit means you won't be paying a single penny for this package till the third month of the contract.
You needn't worry that this is now Virgin Media's 'slowest' speed. The fastest broadband speeds in the country are frankly far faster than anyone really needs. 132Mbps is enough to do anything you need, from gaming to 4K streaming, and we would only recommend faster speeds to those with packed households full of 4K TVs, and indeed gamers.
This is not the cheapest broadband deal (that category comes next), but rather the deal that offers the most for the most reasonable monthly cost.
TalkTalk's fastest broadband, its 944Mbps Full Fibre 900 package is already well priced at £49 per month. However, with a £100 reward card offered to new customers it's a steal. Full Fibre from TalkTalk comes with a decent router which will ensure you can get fast wifi throughout your home. The 18-month contract is a big improvement on what BT is offering (24 months), and it's a lot cheaper too.
Just bear in mind not everyone can get full fibre, and it'll still be a few years before most UK homes can. So you have to get a bit lucky with this one. You can check if you can get it using our postcode checker. Also bear in mind that although you can add a TV package, TalkTalk TV is quite basic compared to, for example, Sky or Virgin Media.
Here we're just going to pick out the cheapest, widely available broadband deal in the UK that offers a reasonable speed. In 2024, ADSL with a speed of 10-11Mbps is no longer considered a workable speed. In fact, most broadband providers have stopped offering it unless you can't get anything else (about 0.2% of UK households).
Vodafone is also offering a fibre deal at just £24 per month. However, the Vodafone deal is half the speed of this one. Also Vodafone will want to do a credit check, and one of the best features of NOW Broadband is that it doesn't. At an average 63Mbps, most households won't run into many issues. But it's hardly world-shattering speed and those households that download and stream a lot may need something quicker.
Ultimately, if you simply want to pay the least possible number of quids per month, this is the package to do it. And don't be bamboozled by packages that offer a super-low price for the first few months. They always work out much more expensive than this one in the long run.
Full fibre is broadband where the cabling is fibre optic throughout the entire network. Traditional 'superfast' is only fibre optic as far as the green cabinet on your street, but old-fashioned copper phone cable between the cabinet and your house, limiting top speeds to about 60-70Mbps. Full fibre (which doesn't include Virgin Media, which is technically not fibre at all despite being extremely fast) doesn't have these limits, but is currently being rolled out and is only available to around one in four households.
All of Sky's deals right now have some sort of additional reward, with a £60 gift card offered on its full fibre deals. Sky is cheap compared to BT, and its contracts shorter. In fact, all BT seems to be serving to do of late is to make everyone else look like a bargain. No matter. 500Mbps is ludicrously quick. But, having said that, these fast full fibre deals are still more expensive than slower packages meaning you can save money by opting for something slower.
We recommend 500Mbps or greater only to households that have gamers or those rare work-from-homers who have to download or upload huge files in order to do their jobs efficiently. You can also get this speed if you just want it. After all, you're never going to hit any bandwidth limits, and there's peace of mind in that.
This is the best broadband deal that bundles in TV. It will be a rare thing, if ever, that anyone but Sky wins in this category, since it offers the best TV subscription service in the UK since the introduction of its satellite dish-free Sky Stream service. It's usually going to be miles ahead. And so it is.
You may not have heard of Sky Stream, nor how it has changed the entire subscription TV model. No longer do you need a satellite dish bolted onto your home. Sky Stream requires only an internet connection (also provided with this deal) and you're good to go. It's a fast, responsive little box with a mountain of live channel and catch-up content to explore.
There's currently no cashback or reward offer with this deal, which is testament to just what a great package this is. Everything you need for broadband and entertainment in one package, and all for £37 per month. Few other packages come even close.
Here's are some tips and need to knows on how to claim these your rewards from broadband providers:
1. Check the terms and conditions: Before proceeding with claiming cashback or reward vouchers, carefully review the terms and conditions associated with the offer. Make sure you understand the eligibility criteria, any specific requirements, and the deadline for claiming
2. Follow the claim process: Each broadband provider has its own process for claiming cashback and reward vouchers. This process is typically outlined on their website or provided in the documentation you received when signing up for the service. Follow the instructions provided to initiate your claim
3. Keep track of your claim: After submitting your claim, it's a good idea to keep track of its progress. Some providers offer online tracking systems where you can check the status of your claim. If there are any issues or delays, reach out to the provider's customer support for assistance
4. Be patient: The process of claiming cashback and reward vouchers may take some time. Providers typically have a verification and validation process to ensure the eligibility of claims. Stay patient and allow sufficient time for the provider to process your claim
5. Enjoy your rewards: Once your claim is approved and processed, you can look forward to receiving your cashback or reward vouchers. These rewards can vary depending on the provider and the specific offer. They may be provided as cashback directly to your account or in the form of vouchers that can be redeemed for various products or services
Use our switching reminder and we'll email you when your deal is coming to an end so you don't lose out!Set reminder