About Direct Save Telecom broadband
In this guide
- What is Direct Save Telecom?
- What does Direct Save Telecom broadband provide?
- Is Direct Save Telecom any good?
- Pros & cons of Direct Save Telecom broadband
- Frequently asked questions
What is Direct Save Telecom?
Direct Save Telecom is a British-owned independent provider of broadband and telephone services. It’s been around since 1999, and puts a strong focus on delivering value for money, especially to those who may be enduring financial hardship. It aims to offer decent broadband with a focus on keeping prices as low as possible, without credit checks.
If finances are tight and you’re looking for low-cost, high-value broadband deals, take a look at our guide to broadband for low income families.
What does Direct Save Telecom broadband provide?
- Cheap broadband packages – when you compare broadband prices, Direct Save Telecom usually comes shows up with some of the cheapest broadband deals going. Direct Save offers both ADSL and fibre broadband deals: its ADSL Unlimited Broadband provides average download speeds of 11Mbps, whereas its Superfast Fibre comes with average speeds of 35Mbps or 63Mbps, depending on which package you choose. Take a look at our guide to work out what broadband speed is right for you.
- Broadband with no credit checks – This is likely to be a huge selling point for many. You can get a deal from Direct Save Telecom without having your credit history looked into. Most of us have experienced times in our lives during which we’ve suffered financial hardship, so it’s good to know companies like Direct Save are there to keep us all afloat.
- Low cost landline calls – If you opt for a regular pay as you go landline package to go with your broadband, calls will be a couple of pennies per minute cheaper than BT broadband . Direct Save also currently claims the UK’s cheapest line rental and some of the cheapest call plans.
- Discount Club – Being a customer of Direct Save means you’ll have access to its ‘Discount Club’, which is a large collection of companies offering discounts. This might save you money if you were planning to buy from those companies anyway, but many of these brands are medium to premium in nature, so you could potentially save more money by choosing a different supplier or seller.
- Broadband without a contract – You’ll have to pay an upfront set-up cost to get no-contract broadband, and the monthly cost is higher compared with longer contracts, but Direct Save Telecom is one of only a handful of providers to offer one-month rolling contracts that won’t tie you in.
Is Direct Save Telecom any good?
If you’re just looking for basic broadband and a phone, Direct Save Telecom does the job well at generally low prices, although the no-contract option works out as slightly more expensive. It also offers 12-month contracts, whereas most competitors now have minimum 18-month contracts.
But you won’t be able to bundle your broadband with any TV packages, mobile phone deals, SIM only, tablets, gadgets or anything else. Also the TP-Link router provided by Direct Save is less powerful than most of the ones offered by its competitors, with lower specifications.
All Direct Save Telecom broadband packages come with a landline, and this tends to have slightly cheaper calling costs than the BT standard rate. You can also pay extra for free UK evening and weekend calls or free UK anytime calls, but note that this doesn’t include free calls to mobile phones.
Pros & cons of Direct Save Telecom broadband
- Option for 12-month contracts instead of the 18-month contracts offered by most competitors
- One of the few providers to offer a no-contract deal
- No credit checks
- Some of the cheapest broadband deals available
- Low-spec router
- No-contract package works out more expensive
- No option to bundle phone and broadband with TV
- Calling packages don’t include free calls to mobile phones
Frequently asked questions
Can I keep my telephone number?
Yes. As with all broadband providers, when you switch your number will switch with you.
How much does it cost to switch to Direct Save Telecom?
Both broadband and fibre broadband packages from Direct Save Telecom have no set-up fee, unless you are signing up to a one month rolling contract. In which case you will be charged an upfront fee.
Are there any credit checks with Direct Save Telecom?
No. Direct Save Telecom will not perform any sort of credit check should you sign up. This means it will accept literally anyone as a customer.
Can I get broadband without a contract with Direct Save Telecom?
Yes. Direct Save offers one-month, no-commitment broadband contracts. However, where there are no upfront costs with its 12-month contracted deals, its no-contract broadband will charge you an upfront fee. The amount you pay per month will also be greater on a one-month contract.