About John Lewis Broadband
What is John Lewis broadband?
As of 4 October 2022, John Lewis Broadband has ceased offering broadband deals to new customers. For the time being it continues to serve its existing customers without interruption.
The department store chain John Lewis has offered broadband and home phone services since 2012. It’s never pretended to be among the cheapest providers out there, instead relying on its reputation for good customer service and straightforward broadband plans.
John Lewis broadband is provided by Plusnet, another company that trades on its reputation for good customer service. Even though John Lewis is effectively a reseller of Plusnet’s broadband service, the John Lewis broadband deals are quite different. You can find out more in our John Lewis broadband review. And if you already have John Lewis broadband and want to switch, there’s a guide for that too.
Is John Lewis broadband any good?
John Lewis broadband maintains a pretty straightforward broadband offering with no upfront costs. All deals come with a landline with evening and weekend calls included as standard, and there is often the promise of a free e-gift card. John Lewis broadband doesn’t offer a TV service or any mobile plans, preferring to keep it simple with its range of broadband and home phone packages.
- Broadband – John Lewis’s three broadband packages follow the pattern of most providers that use the Openreach network to deliver their services. There’s an ADSL package offering average speeds of 10Mbps and two fibre deals offering speeds of 36Mbps and 66Mbps. All three come with 12-month contracts.
- Home phone – Evening and weekend calls are included as standard. You can also choose to add Anytime calls, which gives you inclusive calls to landlines but not mobiles for an additional monthly fee. In addition, Anytime and International includes 300 minutes to 35 international destinations. On top of that you can add the Mobile Bolt-on, which gives you inclusive anytime calls to UK mobiles.
Why should I choose John Lewis broadband?
- Free e-gift card – John Lewis regularly gives away e-gift cards with its broadband packages. The gift cards can be spent in John Lewis or Waitrose stores, or online.
- Evening and weekend calls included – All John Lewis broadband packages come with an evening and weekend calls plan included. It is one of very few providers offering any kind of inclusive calls package as standard.
- No activation charges – There are no upfront charges associated with John Lewis broadband plans, unless you need a new phone line installed, in which case you’ll need to pay for an engineer to do so. Line rental is included, and there are no hidden charges to cover delivery of the router.
- Unlimited usage – As with the vast majority of providers, there are no usage limits on John Lewis’s broadband plans.
- UK-based customer support – John Lewis’s customer support is based in the UK and available on the phone between 8am to 8pm on Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm on Saturday, and 9am to 6pm on Sunday. You can also manage your account via your own online portal.
- Same price wherever you live – It might not sound like much to say that the prices for John Lewis broadband are the same no matter where in the UK you live, but that’s not the case with Plusnet, the company that provides its broadband service.
Pros and cons of John Lewis broadband
- Short, 12-month contracts
- Free evening and weekend calls included as standard
- Good, UK-based customer service
- No activation charges
- Can be more expensive than other providers with similar packages
- No option to bundle broadband with TV
Frequently asked questions
What is John Lewis Broadband?
John Lewis Broadband is provided by Plusnet, another company that trades on its reputation for good customer service. Despite effectively being a reseller of Plusnet’s broadband service, John Lewis Broadband’s offer is quite different.
How long will it take to switch to John Lewis Broadband?
In most cases, it takes between 10 and 12 working days to switch your broadband to John Lewis. There should be no gap in your service as you’ll continue to get broadband from your old provider until you’re switched over to John Lewis.
How do I get in touch with John Lewis Broadband?
You can call John Lewis Broadband’s UK-based customer service team on 0800 022 3300 between 8am to 8pm on Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm on Saturday, and 9am to 6pm on Sunday, at no cost. Or raise a query using your online account and you can expect an answer within 24 hours. If you have an issue to raise with your provider, our guide offers step-by-step instructions on how to complain.
Do I tell my old provider that I’m switching to John Lewis?
If you’re switching from another provider that uses the Openreach network, which is most of them, then no. All you need to do is place an order and John Lewis will inform your old provider on your behalf. If you’re switching from Virgin Media then you will have to inform them yourself, as you’ll be moving to a completely different broadband network.
Can I keep my phone number?
In most cases, you should be able to keep your existing number when you switch but occasionally it’s not possible for whatever reason. John Lewis Broadband will let you know before you switch if you can’t keep your existing number.