How to cancel Shell Energy broadband
By Claire Nottage | Thursday, November 24th 2022
Switching broadband providers has never been easier. With no need to even speak to your provider any more, you can switch without having to go through the rigmarole of speaking to the customer retentions team who ply you with tempting offers to get you to stay. Instead, simply choose your new deal and your new provider will do all the donkey work for you.
Whether you want to switch to another provider, you’re moving house or you just no longer want your broadband at all, we guide you through the steps you need to take to cancel your Shell Energy Broadband service and how to deal with any issues that might crop up in the process.
Checklist: Before you cancel Shell Energy Broadband
Although switching broadband is a straightforward affair, there are just a few details worth checking before you jump ship to another provider.
- Check your contract – All Shell Energy Broadband deals run on 18-month contracts so it’s important to know at what point you are at before you commit to leaving. If you’re not sure then you can either refer back to your original contract or get in touch with Shell Energy Broadband directly and a customer services advisor will be able to help you
- Note down Shell Energy Broadband’s contact details – To get in touch with Shell Energy Broadband you can call 0330 094 5801 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Find a new provider – There are hundreds of broadband deals out there and finding one is easy. Once you’ve chosen a new deal, you can decide whether Shell Energy Broadband is offering you value for money at the moment or not, and will have a bargaining tool to hand should you wish to try and negotiate a better deal than the one you have
Cancelling Shell Energy Broadband if you’re still in contract
It is never advisable to cancel your broadband deal if you haven’t reached the end of your initial contract period, which, in the case of Shell Energy Broadband, is 18 months. This is because you will be charged exit fees, commonly known as early termination fees.
When you signed your contract, you would have agreed to commit to paying for the service for a minimum of 18 months, so if you cancel before that point, you are breaking the terms of your contract and Shell Energy is fully entitled to claim compensation in the form of early termination fees.
The exit fees you have to pay will depend on how long you have left on your contract. The more months left to run, the greater the fee will be. To cancel Superfast Fibre you will be charged £16.50 per month of the remaining contract, plus a rate per any loose days. If, however, you have a Full Fibre 900 deal, that price rises to £18.50 per month plus some more for any loose days.
When you can cancel Shell Energy Broadband for free
If you have to cancel before you reach the end of your contract, there are a few circumstances in which you might be able to leave without having to pay early termination charges.
- Within the initial cooling-off period – If you change your mind within the first two weeks of purchasing your Shell Energy Broadband package, you are legally entitled to cancel without having to pay termination fees. All providers selling broadband online are legally bound to offer 14 days as a cooling-off period to customers. Although you won’t have to pay off your contract, you may find that you have to pay for charges such as installation and connection, as well as any calls you have made that aren’t included in your package
- If Shell Energy Broadband increases prices mid-contract – If Shell Energy Broadband increases its prices mid-contract above the rate of inflation, you have 30 days within which to cancel and switch to another provider without being charged
- If your speed is extremely slow – When you signed up with Shell Energy Broadband, you will have been given an average download speed to expect. If you regularly find that your speed is slower than this, you may have grounds to cancel without penalty. However, this only applies to a cabled connection, not to wifi, so always check your speed on a device that is directly connected to your router
- If the connection is unreliable – You have the right to a reliable broadband service when you sign up, so if you find that you are regularly experiencing drop-outs and lack of service, and Shell Energy Broadband is unable to resolve the problem within a reasonable period, then you are entitled to cancel your service without being penalised
Cancelling Shell Energy Broadband if you’re out of contract
Once you have reached the end of your initial 18-month contract you are free to leave and switch to a new provider. Ofcom now demands that broadband providers must inform their customers that they are nearly at the end of their contract with what is known as an End-of-Contract Notification. You should receive this within 10 to 40 days of the end of your contract. The End-of-Contract Notification will tell you when your contract is due to end, and what new deals Shell Energy Broadband can offer you as an existing customer should you decide to stay.
It is unlikely that any new deal Shell Energy Broadband offers you will be better than those on offer from other providers. This is because all broadband providers keep their best deals for new customers, with the view of tempting new customers in before putting their prices up at the end of the contract. It’s easy to find a new deal by using our broadband comparison tool, which will enable you to narrow down your options by provider, price, speed and more.
Once you’ve found the deal you want, simply sign up with your new provider and it will arrange the switch from Shell Energy Broadband for you, with no need for you to even pick up the phone. The only exception to this is if you decide to switch to Virgin Media. This is because Virgin operates over its own network, rather than over Openreach, the network used by the vast majority of other providers. If you have decided to switch to Virgin, you will have to call Shell Energy Broadband yourself to let it know you are off.
Cancelling Shell Energy Broadband if you’re moving home
If you are out of contract, you are at liberty to switch broadband when you move. Simply give Shell Energy Broadband a minimum of 14 days’ notice of your intention to leave, and start your research for a new broadband deal. You can then sign up with your new chosen provider, which will arrange the cancellation with Shell Energy Broadband directly. You will then be sent a final bill. Be sure to cancel your existing direct debit with Shell Energy Broadband or you will end up paying for two services at once.
If you are still in contract and you need to move house, you have two options. You can either stick with Shell Energy Broadband – you will need to give one month’s notice and provide the details of your moving-in date and your new address – or you can switch provider and pay the exit fees. Shell Energy Broadband runs on the Openreach network, so it is likely that your existing service will be available at your new address. In the unlikely event that Shell Energy Broadband cannot provide you with a service at your new address and you are still mid contract, you will not be charged early termination fees.
Shell Energy Broadband does not charge to move your service, unless a new line needs to be installed. Note that you will be required to sign up to a new minimum term contract if you take your service with you.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to return my Shell Energy Broadband router?
Yes. Shell Energy Broadband will provide you with a pre-paid envelope for returning your router. If you don’t return it, or if it is damaged, you will be charged £35.
Can I keep my Shell Energy Broadband landline number if I cancel?
If you are moving within the same area, you should be able to keep your number. If you are moving further away, you will be issued with a new one.
What is Shell Energy Broadband’s cancellation number?
You can call Shell Energy Broadband on 0330 094 5801 from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, or Saturday from 9am to 4pm to cancel or change your service.
How much notice do I need to give to cancel my broadband?
If you are cancelling your service completely you should give 30 days’ notice. If you are switching to a new provider and you are out of contract, then you do not need to give notice.
How can I find out how much my termination fees will be?
If you think you might be charged exit fees then you can get in touch with Shell Energy Broadband customer services directly via phone or email and an advisor will help you.