About Sky fibre broadband
In this guide
- Top deals from Sky in April 2021
- Why choose Sky fibre?
- How much is Sky fibre broadband?
- How long are Sky contracts?
- What fibre broadband packages does Sky offer?
- What speeds does Sky offer?
- Installing Sky fibre broadband and what to expect
- What router will I get?
- What else is available from Sky?
- Is Sky available near me?
- Contacting Sky broadband
Sky is one of the biggest and most popular names on the UK telecommunications market, and their fibre broadband service uses the Openreach network to deliver fast and reliable internet provision to large areas of the country.
Here’s everything you need to know about Sky fibre broadband - what’s on offer, whether the provider is right for you, and what to expect in terms of equipment, installation, TV and phone bundles, and more.
We’ll also show you the best Sky fibre broadband deals currently on the market.
Top deals from Sky in April 2021
We’ve sifted through Sky’s current fibre broadband deals to bring you the best of what’s on offer this month.
Sky Broadband Superfast
£28 p/m£9.95 one-off cost See Deal
- 59Mb average speed
- Unlimited usage
- PAYG calls
Sky Broadband Superfast with Boost
£33 p/m£9.95 one-off cost See Deal
- 59Mb average speed
- Unlimited usage
- PAYG calls
Sky Broadband Superfast + Anytime Calls
£40 p/m£9.95 one-off cost See Deal
- 59Mb average speed
- Unlimited usage
- Inclusive calls
Why choose Sky fibre?
There are some great reasons to sign up for a Sky fibre broadband deal, from impressive average download speeds to great combined TV and internet deals.
Firstly, all Sky fibre deals come with unlimited usage, so you can download and upload as much contact as you like without being penalised. Sky also doesn’t use traffic management, a fair-usage method that slows down broadband speeds if you’re thought to be doing something that uses up a lot of bandwidth. This means that your internet speed won’t ever be slowed down during peak hours.
With average download speeds reaching an impressive 145Mbps with Ultrafast, the brands top tier fibre-optic offering, you’ll have plenty of oomph for streaming, downloading, browsing and gaming online.
As you’d expect, Sky also offers a range of great TV packages that can be combined with your fibre broadband deal for an additional charge. It’s also possible to add a Sky landline call package to your broadband deal, which is a great way to both save money and deal with only one provider, should anything go wrong.
As with any provider, there are downsides to signing up for a Sky fibre broadband deal.
Along with the likes of TalkTalk and BT, the brand relies on the Openreach network to supply its fibre services, so it isn’t available in all parts of the UK just yet. If you’re not sure whether Sky is available in your area, you can use our availability checker to find out.
Sky fibre deals must also be taken out on an 18-month contract, which feels like a lengthy commitment to some customers. Before you sign up, it’s important to make sure you can afford the monthly payments for the full term of the contract. It also pays to keep in mind that if you want to cancel at any point before the contract ends, you may have to pay a hefty early-exit fee.
To learn more about Sky, and to see how they rate when compared to other broadband providers, read our expert guide.
How much is Sky fibre broadband?
At the moment, deals start from £28 per month, with an 18 month contract.
The provider holds regular sales and promotions that make monthly costs more affordable. Often, these bring prices for the brand’s fibre deals in line with prices for standard fibre broadband.
How long are Sky contracts?
Sky has three different fibre broadband deals with different individual speeds. Each comes with an 18 month contract, as standard.
What fibre broadband packages does Sky offer?
Along with its stand-alone broadband deals, Sky offers several bundles that allow you to combine your fibre broadband with TV and landline phone services - or both.
Broadband only:Sky offers two different fibre broadband packages, each with a different average download speed. As you’ll need a landline phone connection with any broadband package, phone provision is also included.
There’s no charge if you don’t make any calls. If you do, they’ll be charged on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Broadband and phone: Sky offer three different call packages to bundle with your fibre broadband deal:
- Sky Evening and Weekend: Make unlimited free evening and weekend calls to UK mobiles and landlines.
- Sky Talk Anytime Extra: Make free calls anytime, day or night, to all UK mobiles and landlines.
- Sky Talk International Extra: Make unlimited free calls to UK mobiles and landlines, plus 50 world-wide destinations.
Time restrictions apply with all call packages, so be sure to check the fine print before signing on the dotted line.
- Broadband and TV: Sky offers three options for combining your fibre broadband provision with a TV package, all of which come with an 18-month contract:
- Sky TV and Superfast broadband: Combines super reliable fibre broadband with endless entertainment, including over 100 channels not on Freeview plus over 500 Box Sets. Sky pay-as-you-talk is included with this bundle, as standard, so you’ll pay individually for any calls made using your landline. If you don’t make any calls, there’s no charge. The package can also be customised by adding bolt-ons like further Sky channels or a Netflix subscription for an additional charge. For all this, you’ll pay a monthly charge, plus a one-off installation fee of £29.95.
- Sky Sports, Sky TV and Superfast broadband: With this package, you’ll receive all the TV provision included in the Sky TV alone deal, plus all eight Sky Sports channels, all in HD. This deal also contains the same reliable Superfast fibre broadband connection and Sky pay-as-you-talk call package. As above, you’ll pay a monthly fee for this bundle, along with a one-off installation charge of £29.95. Add-ons like Sky Cinema and BT Sport are also available for an additional charge.
- Build your own bundle: Sky also offers the opportunity for customers to build their own broadband and TV bundle, starting with Sky TV and superfast broadband and adding more of the channels you love. As ever, there will be a monthly fee and a one-off set-up charge of £29.95.
- Broadband, TV and phone: You can combine any of Sky’s broadband and TV packages with a landline phone package of your choice, to enjoy the brand’s full range of services in one convenient pay-monthly bundle.
What speeds does Sky offer?
Sky offers two different speeds with their fibre deals: Superfast and Ultrafast.
Sky Superfast: Sky Superfast is the brand’s entry-level fibre broadband package, with a very respectable average download speed of 59Mbps. This service has an average upload speed of 16Mbps and is more than adequate for medium to large households where members enjoy gaming and streaming content online, and where more than one person wants to get connected at the same time.
Sky Ultrafast: Sky Ultrafast offers the brand’s top speeds for fibre broadband, with an impressive average speed of 145Mbps for downloads and 27Mbps for uploads. This package is ideal for large, busy households where members play games online and watch content in HD or 4K TV. With Sky Ultrafast, you can do more, on more devices, at the same time.
What speed do I need for streaming?
The ideal broadband speed for your needs depends on how many people in your home share an internet connection, and what type of thing you all enjoy doing online.
If you live alone or with a few other people and don’t use the internet for anything more intensive than shopping or browsing, Sky’s entry level ‘Superfast’ broadband package will meet your needs, with an average download speed of 59Mbps.
For larger households where everyone wants to be online at the same time, or if you live with regular internet gamers or stream TV, film or music often, you’ll be better off with Sky’s ‘Ultrafast’ fibre broadband package, with future-proof download speeds of 145Mbps. Find out what speeds you need for all of your favourite streaming platforms with our guide.
What speed do I need for gaming?
For a great online gaming experience, either of Sky’s fibre broadband packages will suffice, so take your pick between a Superfast and Ultrafast connection.
If you’re a serious gamer, or live with other people who like to play games regularly online, invest a little extra in the brand’s Ultrafast deal. With an average download speed of 145Mbps, it will allow you to download digital games in record time, some of which may be over 100GB in size.
Installing Sky fibre broadband and what to expect
Installing Sky should be a quick and simple process, especially if you already have an active phone line at your property (this is the case with most households).
With an existing connection, remote switching is usually possible without the need of an engineer visit.
If you don’t have an existing phone line, or if you’ve chosen a deal that includes TV services, you’ll need to book an engineer to visit and install the necessary equipment. This is a quick and painless process, but check if it’s okay with your landlord or letting agency if you rent your home.
Sky usually charges an upfront installation fee for new contracts, which is between £20 and £50, depending on what package you’ve signed up for. Broadband only deals are usually cheaper to set up than TV packages. Make sure you check what installation costs will be before signing on the dotted line.
For full information about installing Sky broadband, check our installation guide.
Some providers also have their own installation guides, so it’s worth checking Sky’s website for more specific information.
What router will I get?
When you sign up for a new fibre broadband deal with Sky, the brand will send you a new router so you can get started ASAP.
Currently, all of Sky’s fibre broadband deals come with the Sky Hub router, the brand’s latest model and a vast improvement on previous incarnations, offering greatly improved WiFi reception throughout your home.
For further detail on this and other models previously offered by the brand, take a look at our guide to Sky routers.
If you’re self-installing your router and need a little help to get up and running, our guide to setting up your router should have you connected in no time.
What else is available from Sky?
Along with their core broadband, TV and phone services, Sky offer some great additional features:
Bolt-ons: Sky customers receive regular offers and upgrades, including tacking on additional channels to your package or access to services like ‘Ultimate On Demand’.
Sky WiFi Guarantee: With Sky’s WiFi guarantee, the brand promises that if your speed falls below your guaranteed minimum download speed (which you were offered when you took out your contract) for at least three days in a row in a 30-day period, you’ll get your money back. You can claim this payment up to twice within your contract term.
Broadband boost: Add this to any package and once it’s been activated, you’ll enjoy these additional benefits:
- Book engineer visits at a time that suits you, even on evenings and weekends, for no extra charge.
- Daily checks on your line to ensure a reliable connection.
- Control your family’s screen time with Sky’s Broadband Buddy app.
- Got Sky mobile? If your broadband drops out, the brand will put 2GB in your Sky Mobile Piggybank
Is Sky fibre broadband available near me?
As a provider sharing the Openreach network, Sky broadband is available to a good proportion of homes in the UK - but not all. Use our postcode checker to find out if the provider services your local area.
Contacting Sky Broadband
Sky has a wide range of FAQs on its website, and you can also get help using Facebook Messenger, SMS or email to contact the brand.
Customer Services can also be reached by phone seven days a week, from 7am until 11pm. It’s free for Sky Talk customers to call. Everyone else will be charged the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers.
Sky consistently receives great reviews for customer services, with most people saying their problems and dealt with quickly and decisively.