How to cancel iD Mobile
By Claire Nottage | Wednesday, January 27th 2021
Switching to a new mobile provider has never been easier. In most cases there is no longer any reason to speak to your provider directly – you can arrange the whole thing online thanks to the introduction of Ofcom’s Text to Switch ruling. So whether you are looking for a brand new handset or just better value for money on your SIM-only deal, you should be able to complete the whole process painlessly.
In this guide, we look at how to go about leaving iD Mobile, including an explanation of exactly what PAC and STAC codes are and when you will need them, how to ascertain what point you are at in your contract, and how to find the best new deal for your needs.
Checklist: Things to do before you cancel iD Mobile
Before you make the leap to another network and a shiny new phone deal, it’s worth getting together a few bits of information first.
- Check your contract – iD Mobile offers both one-month and 12-month SIM-only contract along with 24-month handset contracts. If you signed up to a long contract, you should double check you are past the initial contract term before you decide to switch.
- Dig out iD Mobile’s contact details – iD Mobile does not offer any telephone support; it is all online. You can speak to someone directly by using the Live Chat function. Alternatively you can make changes by logging onto your account online or on the My iD app.
- Find a new mobile provider – Once you have decided to leave iD Mobile, you need to find a new mobile deal. If you are happy with your existing handset, you can keep it and just look for a new SIM-only deal.
Cancelling iD Mobile if you’re still in contract
If you have not yet reached the end of your contract with iD Mobile and you have decided to leave, you will have to pay the outstanding line rental along with the value of your handset if you took out a pay monthly contract for a new phone. All ID’s handset contracts are for 24 months so depending on where you are in your contract, you could be looking at a hefty sum to cough up. If you took out a 12-month SIM-only deal, you will have a lot less to pay.
To find out where you are in your contract you can refer back to your original contract from iD Mobile which will have been sent in an email. Alternatively you can log on to your account where you can also see how much you will be charged if you cancel your contract early.
When you can cancel iD Mobile for free
Although in most cases you will have to pay back everything you owe to iD Mobile if you cancel your contract early, there are a few situations in which this does not apply.
- Within the initial cooling-off period – If you bought your SIM deal or handset online, you are legally entitled to a two-week cooling-off period during which time if you change your mind about your purchase you can cancel without having to pay any termination fees
- If iD Mobile increases prices – If iD Mobile raises its prices during your contract, it must give you 30 days’ notice of its intention to do so. If it does not inform you of its intention to raise prices or if it raises its prices above the RPI (Recommended Price Index) you are permitted to leave without penalty
- If your service is sub-standard – This can be somewhat open to interpretation, but if you regularly experience a lack of signal and issue a complaint then ID should work with you to resolve the problem. If it cannot be resolved then you may have grounds to cancel your contract
- If your contract runs out within the next 30 days – if you are within a month of the end of your contract you can cancel without having to pay any fees
Cancelling iD Mobile if you’re out of contract
If you signed up to a 24-month phone contract, you will receive an end-of-contract notification from iD Mobile 10 to 40 days before your contract ends. This will tell you that your contract will soon end and that you will be free to switch to another deal. It will also let you know what the best iD Mobile deals are if you want to switch to a new SIM-only deal or take out a new handset contract.
Once you’ve received this notification you can start to search for a new deal with another provider – whether you want a new handset or a SIM-only deal. Our handset and SIM deal comparison page will help you do this easily, with options for filtering by price, provider, handset, data allowance and more. Once you have found a new deal, you should notify iD Mobile – the best way to do this is via the My ID app or via your online account.
Previously, customers had to give 30 days’ notice when switching providers and as a result you could find yourself paying for two providers at once. Since Ofcom’s introduction of Text to Switch, however, providers are obliged to arrange a seamless switch as long as you provide them with a PAC or a STAC code when you sign up.
If you are on a Pay-As-You-Go SIM-only deal with iD Mobile, you are free to cancel and leave at any time. Just bear in mind that your service will cease on the day your bundle is due to refresh, so you will be able to use your allowance until then.
How to take your existing iD Mobile number with you
If you want to take your existing phone number with you to a new mobile provider, you will need to request a PAC code from iD Mobile. This code lets your new provider know that you want to keep your old number when you switch. To request a PAC code, you can text PAC and your date of birth (DDMMYY) to 65075, or you can log on to the My ID app, or you can log in to your account online.
The PAC code is valid for 30 days. When you sign up for your new deal, you will be asked to enter your PAC code if you want to keep your iD Mobile number, and your new provider will arrange the switchover.
How to leave without taking your mobile number with you
It may be that you aren’t bothered about taking your mobile number with you to your new provider. In this case, you should request a STAC code from iD Mobile. This will tell your new provider that you do not want to keep your old number and they can issue you with a new one. To order a STAC code you can text STAC and your date of birth (DDMMYY) to 75075, or you can request one via the MY ID app, or via your account online. The STAC code is valid for 30 days from issue, giving you plenty of time to find a new mobile deal.
When you order your new deal, it is important that you give your new provider your STAC code otherwise your iD Mobile account will stay live and you will continue to be charged for both accounts.
Frequently asked questions
How can I find out what charges I will have to pay to iD Mobile if I leave early?
If you cancel your contract before the minimum term is up, you will have to pay off what you owe to iD Mobile. You can text INFO and your date of birth (DDMMYY) to 85075 and iD Mobile will text you the balance of your account.
How long does it take to activate my new mobile deal?
Generally it will take your new provider one working day to cancel your account with iD Mobile, or two days if it receives your STAC or PAC code at the weekend.
Will switching to a new provider automatically cancel my Direct Debit with iD Mobile?
No. You should cancel your Direct Debit with iD Mobile but only after you have received your final bill, which may include a refund.
Can I switch onto a different SIM-only deal with ID before my phone contract expires?
You can choose to switch to a more expensive allowance but not to a cheaper one if you are still mid-contract. You can only switch to a cheaper deal once you are out of contract.
Can I get a SIM-only deal from a different network if I bought my handset from ID?
iD Mobile only locks its Apple phones. It will unlock your handset as long as you have been with iD Mobile for more than six months and you have no outstanding balance to pay off. Unlocking generally takes between three and five days.