About the Samsung Galaxy A71 phone
In this guide
- What is the Samsung Galaxy A71 phone?
- What models of A71 are available?
- Samsung Galaxy A71 features
- Galaxy A71 5G phones
- Samsung Galaxy A71 providers
- Alternatives to the A71
- Frequently asked questions
The Galaxy A71 is a mid-priced smartphone from the Korean technology company Samsung. In terms of price and features it sits between the lower-priced Galaxy A51 and the more expensive flagship Galaxy S range. Released in 2020 in the UK, the Galaxy S71 comes with a newer processor than the Galaxy A51, a great array of camera lenses, and its memory is expandable.
At the time of writing the Samsung Galaxy A71 is still a new addition to the Galaxy range. So, don't expect too much discounting on its already mid-range price-point. If, however, you're looking to move to Android from Apple, or you need a smartphone with excellent camera options, and access to a wide range of well-supported apps, then the Galaxy A71 is well worth your attention.
What is the Samsung Galaxy A71 phone?
The Galaxy A71 smartphone is Samsung's mid-price, 2020 offering. It initially hit the market without 5G capability in January of that year as the SM-A715F/DSN in the UK and rest of the world. In June of 2020 a 5G version, the SM-A716F/DSN was made available across the world. Its predecessor were the Galaxy A70 and the lower-priced Galaxy A51. The Galaxy A71 remains a high competitive, good value, mid-priced alternative to Samsung's higher-priced Galaxy S20 range.
When it came onto the market in 2020 in the UK, the Samsung Galaxy A71 brought quite a few additions and upgrades to the Galaxy A70. These included an updated Android operating system, the newer SnapDragon 730 processor, and an improved rear-facing camera. The 5G capability of the SM-A716F/DSN version is the only significant difference between the available flavours of Galaxy A71 phones.
What Samsung Galaxy A71 models are available?
There are two variants of the Galaxy A71, which only differ in one significant way: the SM-A716F/DSN versions supports 5G networks, the SM-A715F/DSN does not. Aside from this, in all practical reality in the UK at the time of writing, both variants offer equal power and value. The Samsung Galaxy A71 is aimed directly at mid-range budgets, and does a perfectly good job at it.
Samsung Galaxy A71 main features
For a mid-priced phone, the Samsung Galaxy A71 comes with an impressive array of features. From its camera arrays to its Super AMOLED display via its expansion slot, the Galaxy A71 has a great deal to be said for it.
- Processor chip – Qualcomm's fast mid-range ARM-based, oct-core Snapdragon 730 chip with integrated graphics processing is an upgrade to the chip on Samsung's previous SnapDragon 675 chip in the Galaxy A70 and A70s phones
- Screen – The Galaxy A71 comes with a 6.7-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED Display (1080 x 2400 Pixels, 393 ppi). Unlike higher level Samsung Edge or Flip phones it comes with corning. It uses Gorilla Glass 3
- Cameras – The Galaxy A71 offers a nice upgrade to the A70, adding a 64megapixel rear-facing camera to the main, read-facing array. The GalaxyA70 has a 48 megapixel instead. Both the Galaxy A71 and the Galaxy A70 have a 12megapixel Ultra-wide lens, a 5 megapixel Macro lens, and a 5 megapixel depth sensor. The front-facing camera on both the Galaxy A70 and the A71 are 32 megapixel (f/2.2 aperture lenses
- Memory and Storage – The Galaxy A71 comes with one memory configuration: 128GB. This enables a single price-point. System memory determines how many apps you can have running in the background at once, and the A71 uses 8GB of its total 128GB memory
- SIM type – The Galaxy A71 uses a a dual SIM slot (Nano-SIM) enabling you to use two different networks
- Sensors – The Galaxy A71 unlocks using both a face recognition and a fingerprint sensor. It has an ambient light sensor, a compass, a gyroscope and an accelerometer
- Is the Samsung Galaxy A71 expandable - Yes, its memory is expandable to 512GB via a microSD card slot
Which providers offer Samsung Galaxy A70 deals?
Samsung's smartphones are found everywhere. Aside from Apple Stores there's the Galaxy A71 is available at every major outlet from supermarkets to specialist network stores both bricks and mortar and online.
Alternative phone brands
Samsung's smartphones are the top-sellers globally in mid and high-priced markets. But that's not to say that there aren't competing brands out there. Historically the battle for supremacy certainly in the top-end for price and functionality has been between Samsung and Apple. However, China's Huawei is now mounting a significant challenge to both those contenders.
- Apple – Apple's iPhone SE 2 2020 version is in the ring to contend with the Galaxy A71. However, iPhone means you'll be tied into the iOS operating system rather than the open-source Android platform. If you've historically had Android phones, this means you will no longer have access to your apps. The Galaxy A71 also comes with more storage, a longer-lasting battery, more system memory (good for running apps), a bigger screen, and more powerful cameras
- Huawei – the Huawei P20 Pro would like to contend with the Samsung Galaxy A71. However, it loses out on almost all specifications from battery performance to display size via RAM and certainly camera specs
- Google – The Google Pixel 4a is competitive with the Samsung Galaxy A71. Due to its smaller size it is lighter. However, it is also less impressive in terms of camera, battery life, and expandability.
Frequently asked questions
What is Samsung Galaxy A71?
The Galaxy A71 smartphone is one of Samsung's mid-priced phones. It is a step up from the Galaxy A51, and not as pricey (or feature-rich) as Samsung's flagship Galaxy Note and Galaxy S ranges.
Are Samsung Galaxy A71 phones any good?
Yes. Samsung Galaxy A71 phones are an excellent choice to get you started with the Samsung brand and also with the Android operating system.
Can I connect Samsung Galaxy A71 phones to my TV?
Yes. You can mirror the screen on your phone onto a Samsung television, or buy an adapter (USB-C to HDMI) to connect the phone to any other type of television, provided it has an HDMI port.
Can I get Samsung Galaxy A71 phones SIM-free?
Yes. Most providers will sell you a Samsung Galaxy A71 handset without demanding you take out a contract. At the time of writing, you can now get refurbished Samsung Galaxy A71s from many providers, which can save you a lot of money off the asking price, and still come with a full warranty.
Can I buy refurbished Samsung Galaxy A71 phones?
At the time of writing, the Samsung Galaxy A71 is still a relatively new phone. It is also considered one of Samsung's entry-level devices. So, while refurbished Galaxy A71s are available, don't expect to see too much of a price drop from new.
Want to learn more about mobile?
Our mobile guides contain a wealth of information on just about every aspect of current mobile packages.