How to cancel NOW TV
By Claire Nottage | Monday, February 8th 2021
Cancelling your existing broadband provider or streaming TV service can sometimes feel intimidating or just too much hassle. However, if you have found a better deal with another provider, or you’re moving home and want to switch to a new provider, or maybe you’re just fed up and want a change, cancelling your broadband service is in fact a pretty straightforward affair.
Whatever your reason for wanting to cancel NOW Broadband, you just need to make sure you have a few key pieces of information to hand before you make the final decision. In this guide, we talk you through what you need to do to ensure your departure from NOW Broadband, or indeed NOW TV, goes smoothly from start to finish.
Checklist: Things to do before you cancel NOW Broadband
Before you jump ship from NOW Broadband, you need to make sure you have all the information you need to make the right decision, from where you are in your contract to finding a new broadband package with another provider.
- Check your contract – NOW Broadband offers both rolling monthly broadband deals as well as 12-month contracts. If you are on a rolling monthly contract then you are free to cancel at any time. If you signed up for 12 months however, it’s important to know whether you are out of contract or not. You can find this out either by referring back to your original contract (most likely sent by email), by calling the NOW helpline or by using the Live Chat facility
- Note down NOW’s contact details – If you want to call NOW to let it know you are thinking of leaving, you can phone the customer helpline on 03303 323 050. Alternatively you can send an email to email@example.com
- Find a new provider – Before you take the plunge, it is wise to see what else is available on the market. This will help you decide whether you are getting a good deal with NOW at the moment or whether you can save some cash by switching. It will also give you some leverage if you want to try and negotiate a better deal with NOW
Cancelling NOW Broadband if you’re still in contract
If you signed up to a 12-month contract with NOW Broadband and you are still in that initial 12-month term, then you will have to pay early termination charges if you cancel. The contract you have with your broadband provider works both ways: you pay the monthly fees for the agreed period and your provider in turn will keep you connected. So if you end the contract prematurely, the provider is entitled to claim for the fees it would have received otherwise.
The amount you will have to pay in early termination charges depends on which broadband service you have from NOW – Brilliant Broadband, Fab Fibre or Super Fibre – and how many days are left to run on your contract. The less time left on your contract, the less you will have to pay. If at all possible, we would advise that you wait until your contract has expired before switching, unless your situation falls into one of the following scenarios.
When you can cancel NOW Broadband for free
Even if you are still in contract, there are a few situations in which you will not have to pay early termination charges if you cancel your service.
- Within the initial cooling-off period – As with all broadband providers, you have a 14-day period from the day you sign up to decide whether you want to keep the service or not. If within those two weeks you choose to cancel the service, you can do so without being penalised and will not have to pay any early termination charges
- If NOW raises prices mid-contract – If NOW unexpectedly announces it is hiking your monthly fees, you have 30 days from that point within which you can cancel your service without penalty
- If your speed is slower than promised – When you signed up, NOW would have given you an expected average speed for your connection. If you find that your speed is regularly slower than this, then you may have cause to cancel without termination fees. However, as NOW is not currently signed up to the Voluntary Broadband Code of Practice, you may still have to lodge a complaint to be able to leave without penalty
- If the connection is unreliable – If you frequently experience drop-outs in your broadband connection and NOW are unable to fix the fault within a reasonable timeframe, then you can cancel without being charged
Cancelling NOW Broadband if you’re out of contract
Whether you are on a rolling monthly contract, or your initial 12-month contract period with NOW Broadband has ended, you are free to move to another provider without paying any termination fees. Before you make the decision however, it’s a good idea to start scouting out the broadband market and see what deals are currently available.
Prices, speeds and availability of broadband products change constantly, so by seeing what is out there you will be able to know whether you are getting a good deal with NOW broadband or not, and whether you want to stay with NOW or move to a new provider.
It’s more than likely that NOW will attempt to get you to stay as no provider likes to see a customer leave and go to a competitor. If you want to see what it might offer, then you will have to make the call to NOW customer services, who may offer you a discount on your current deal or some kind of free extra to get you to stay. If however, you have already chosen a new provider, there is no need to call up NOW Broadband. Your new provider will make all the cancellation arrangements necessary.
Cancelling NOW Broadband if you’re moving home
If you have to move home and have decided to cancel your NOW Broadband package, the same rules apply. If you are still mid-contract you will have to pay early termination charges. If you are on a rolling monthly contract, you will not. Bear in mind that NOW Broadband operates over the Openreach network of cables that covers much of the country. This means that you are likely to be able to get NOW Broadband at your new address should you decide to keep it.
If you are still mid-contract, we would advise taking your existing NOW Broadband service with you to your new address until you reach the end of your contract. This way you can avoid paying termination fees and can focus on switching broadband after you have moved.
Cancelling NOW TV
NOW TV runs separately to NOW Broadband, although they are both provided by the same company. NOW TV is contract-free so you can cancel your NOW TV memberships whenever you want to. You can also restart them whenever you want to.
To cancel any NOW TV Membership at any time, simply log on to your NOW TV account and select the membership you wish to cancel. NOW will probably ask if you’re sure and tempt you with a discounted price to keep you signed up for longer. You might think this offers good value for money and decide to accept it. If not, you are free to reject the offer and cancel anyway.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to return my NOW broadband router?
Yes, the router is the property of NOW TV so you will need to return it. Postage is free and details of how to return it are on the NOW website.
Can I keep my NOW Broadband landline number if I cancel?
Yes, you can take your NOW landline number with you to a new provider on the Openreach network. You will need to let your new provider know that you wish to keep it.
What is NOW Broadband’s cancellation number?
You can call NOW Broadband customer services on 03303 323 050.
Do I need to contact NOW Broadband if I am switching to another provider?
If you are switching to another provider on the Openreach network, there is no need for you to get in touch with NOW – your new provider will arrange the cancellation for you. The exception to this is if you are moving to Virgin Media, in which case you will have to let NOW know that you are leaving.
How can I find out how much my termination fees will be?
The best way to find out what your termination fees will be is to get in touch with NOW Broadband customer services on 03303 323 050. Fees generally cost between £10 and £12 per month left on your contract.