NOW TV help, issues and complaints
By Tim Smith | Friday, January 22nd 2021
NOW Broadband has emerged from the shadow of its owner – Sky – to become a unique, budget provider in its own right – one that doesn't require credit checks. But whether you're a current NOW Broadband customer or you're thinking of becoming one, it's a good idea to know what to do when something goes wrong.
Using this guide you find out how to fix some common problems with your NOW Broadband and television packages before you have to hang on a help line. We will also show you how best to navigate NOW TV's Community and help pages online, and how to address common problems.
Payment and billing issues
If you’ve missed paying your latest NOW Broadband bill, or that you think you will have a problem with your next payment, both the NOW Broadband app and your account pages on the website are well set up to help. The same can be said in the events that you’ve been overcharged. Here are a few ways than you can sort your financial issues out.
If you have missed a payment or are struggling to pay your bill
In the event that you know you're going to miss one payment or more you should contact NOW Broadband as soon as possible. This is the best policy because NOW Broadband can restrict your service and then disconnect you completely until any shortfall has been paid. It also has the option of charging you for late payment and reconnection.
Check your Direct Debit
NOW Broadband's preferred payment method is for you to setup a Direct Debit payment. This is also usually the safest method because even if you move bank or building society your DDs should follow automatically. However, problems sometimes happen. So, make sure to check with your financial institution that yours have gone through.
Once you have got in contact you can try to negotiate to increase your payment so you don't have to extend your contract period. You can also offer to pay smaller amounts on top of your regular Direct Debit payments over the phone using your credit or debit cards.
What if you've been overcharged?
On the other side of the payment coin is what happens if you've over-paid, for example for an add-on you've not used. Checking your monthly bill payment using the NOW Broadband app or your account pages on the website is a good habit to get into for exactly this reason. If you find an over-payment, contact NOW Broadband immediately and keep on, politely, until you get a resolution.
Problems with your broadband
Broadband problems can have a host of causes, but surprisingly the most common ones are neither very technical nor very hard to get to the bottom of. Let's have a look at how to either solve or at least arm yourself with the information you'll need to get the fastest response from NOW Broadband.
- Status check – The first thing to do is see if broadband is down or unreliable in your area rather than just your home. Log in to your NOW Broadband account, go to 'Help' then to 'Check service' and type in your postcode. This will then tell if the problem is already being addressed and how widespread it is
- Have you paid your bill? – If you've taken a contract with NOW Broadband, make sure you're direct debit has gone through either by checking your account status on the NOW Broadband website
- Turn your NOW Broadband Hub off and on again – Unplug your NOW Broadband Hub or Hub 2 from the power. Then unplug all the cables from your hub. Wait two minutes, then reconnect the cables and turn your hub back on. Wait another two minutes or so for it to connect to the network
- Unplug your phone – Your NOW Broadband Hub or Hub 2 are connected to the outside world via your phone socket. In the case of your Hub 2, this uses fibre and the connection will have been fitted by a BT Openreach engineer. You will either have a two-socket connection (Hub 2) or a microfilter that enables you to connect both your landline and broadband. Disconnect your phone cable and recheck your broadband is working correctly by loading a webpage into a browser
- Wifi or broadband – Check whether the problem is with your wifi connection or your broadband. If possible, connect a computer or laptop directly into your NOW Broadband Hub or Hub 2 with an ethernet cable. Try to connect to a website using a browser. If there is still a problem, follow the other steps in this guide. If the your broadband is working well, then the problem might lie with your wifi connection
- No faults found – If you've tried our tips and still can't find a problem, it's time to check the NOW Broadband help pages, guides and even the community pages online
Problems with your wifi
Most people use their home broadband over wifi, so a fault or slowdown with that can be exasperating. Your wifi signal is produced by your NOW Broadband Hub or Hub 2. So, if there is a problem, the chances are it stems from your router. Here's how to troubleshoot wifi issues.
Move your NOW Broadband Hub
Wifi signals can often be interrupted or blocked by things like walls, door, boxes, furniture or even piles of magazines. Try moving your New TV Hub or Hub 2 to somewhere less obstructed in your home. If you're still not getting the speed you want, you can buy Wifi Boosters (also known as Wifi Extenders) that are widely available online.
Reset your Hub or Hub 2
Both NOW TV's Hub and Hub 2 have rest switches. Locate yours and activate it. Then wait for a minute for it to reconnect. Then test your wifi signal.
Problem with NOW TV streaming
Although NOW TV and NOW Broadband are separate, you may also be using a NOW TV Smart Stick. Both of these make use of your broadband and wifi connection.
- Move your Smart Stick – If you have more than one HDMI socket on your TV, try moving your NOW TV Smart Stick to another one
- Restart your Hub or Hub 2 – Simple, just turn your Hub or Hub 2 off. Wait for two minutes. Turn it back on and try streaming TV again
- Check your speed – It's possible that broadband is working but too slowly to deliver a fast enough connection for TV streaming. Go online and search for 'Broadband speed check'. There are several sites that you can use
Problems with your landline
You may also have signed up for a fixed landline deal as part of your NOW Broadband contract. Here are some quick fixes if something goes wrong.
- Test your phone on its own – All this means is unplugging the broadband cable that is either plugged in via a dual socket or a small microfilter box hanging out of your wall socket
- Check 'Call Divert' – Make sure you've not accidentally turned on Call Divert or even Call Blocking. You'll find out how to do this in the manual that came with your phone
- Check the batteries – If your handset requires batteries, old ones could be the problem with your landline calls
Getting Help with NOW Broadband
NOW Broadband has an excellent collection of help pages, FAQs and guides on its website. It's best to arm yourself with as much info as possible to speed up the process of getting answers.
Customer service phone number
If you need to contact NOW TV customer service the number is 03303 323050.
Use social media to speed up response times
If you feel like NOW TV is taking too much time getting back to you about a complaint or a problem, try using social media for a gentle nudge. NOW TV has social media presences on Twitter and Instagram (both @nowtv), and it also has a Facebook page. Remember to be polite though.
Frequently asked questions
Problems with your bill?
If you have problems paying your bill then you should contact NOW TV straight away. Failing to do this can result in your broadband service being reduced or even cut off until you pay your bill. The quickest way to contact NOW TV about your broadband contract is via your account page on the NOW TV website.
Does NOW TV own its own broadband network
No, NOW TV's broadband is delivered to your home using BT's Openreach infrastructure. In terms of getting help or making a complaint, however, you will need to contact NOW TV directly. Read this guide to find out how.
Does NOW TV fix faults quickly?
This obviously depends on the nature of the fault. NOW TV, like many other broadband providers, relies on BT's Openreach engineers to fix major problems but for the most part you should be able to get help quickly from NOW TV's online guides, and its Community pages.
Can a faulty telephone line affect my broadband?
Yes it can. Your NOW Broadband comes in to your home using your phone line – with some tweaks made by the engineers at the nearest junction box. So, if you're having problems there are some tips in this guide for checking if your phone maybe interfering with your broadband or even the other way around.
How do I find out if there is a fault in my area
This is an easy one for you. If you have an account username and password with NOW Broadband, login and go to the Help area and then 'Having trouble with your broadband' then 'Check broadband status'.