About the Apple iPhone 11 Pro
In this guide
- What is the iPhone 11 Pro?
- 11 Pro vs 11 Pro Max vs 11
- Best providers
- Alternative phones
- Frequently asked questions
Apple's iPhone 11 range consists of three, 13th generation Apple smartphones, the iPhone 11, the iPhone 11 Pro, and the iPhone 11 Pro Max. When they were released in September 2019 in the UK, they were the flagship phones in the iPhone family. We are looking at the mid-range iPhone 11 Pro here.
The iPhone 11 Pro replaced the iPhone XS when it was launched. It came with an updated hexa-core (six-core) Bionic A13 battery, which superseded the A12 that was launched with the iPhone A51 and A71. It is also sold with a 18 watt fast charger rather than the 5 watt that came with the iPhones that preceded it.
What is the Apple iPhone 11 Pro?
The Apple iPhone 11 Pro was launched as the mid-ranged phone in the iPhone 11 range in September 2019. The other two being the iPhone 11, and the flagship iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Like the other iPhone 11s, the iPhone 11 Pro comes with Apple's A13 Bionic processor, a front-facing TrueDepth 12 megapixel camera, Apple's Siri voice assistant, and with EarPod headphones using Apple's proprietary Lightning connector.
The Apple iPhone 11 Pro is the smallest of the iPhone 11s weighing in at 188g (6.63 ounces) with a 5.8 inch (14.73cm) Super Retina XDR screen.
Apple iPhone 11 Pro features
The iPhone 11 Pro is the mid-ranged device in the iPhone 11 range. Apple's own Lightning connector for charging and to connect to accessories. It has no 3.5mm headphone socket. Here are the other main features of the iPhone 11 Pro:
- Size – The iPhone 11 Pro is the smallest of the three units in Apple's iPhone 11 range. It weighs in at 188g (6.63 ounces) with a 5.8 inch (14.73cm) Super Retina XDR screen. It is 71.4mm (2.81 inches) wide. Like the Pro Max it is 8.1mm (0.32 inches) deep. It is 71.4mm (2.81 inches) wide
- Display – The mid-range iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8 inch (14.73cm) Super Retina XDR screen using OLED technology with 2436x1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
- Processor chip – the iPhone 11 Pro uses the Apple's 64-bit, six-core, ARM-based 'Bionic' A13 central processor unit (CPU), which launched at the same time as the phone in September 2019
- Front-facing camera – the iPhone 11 Pro has a triple-lens 12 megapixel, ultra wide, Wide and telephoto array with night mode as its main rear-facing cameras
- Front-facing camera – the iPhone 11 Pro has what Apple calls a TrueDepth (it used to call this its FaceTime) camera. This is a 12 megapixel camera that supports 4K video recording at up to 60 fps
- Authentication/sign-in – the iPhone 11 Pro uses Face ID for login. This is achieved via the front-facing TrueDepth camera
- SIM type — the iPhone 11 Pro has dual SIM slots: nano-SIM and eSIM. Neither slot is compatible with micro-SIM cards
- Memory/Storage – The iPhone 11 Pro come with three options for memory 64GB, 256GB and 512GB. Apple states that it used between 10-14GB for system memory. There is no option for the user to expand their iPhone 11's memory
- Charging – the iPhone 11 Pro is capable of charging via its proprietary Lightning connector slot and also wireless charging
iPhone 11 Pro vs iPhone 11 Pro Max vs iPhone 11
Although the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max share several features, there is plenty to differentiate them aside from price.
The iPhone 11 Pro is the smallest of the three units in Apple's iPhone 11 range. It weighs in at 188g (6.63 ounces) with a 5.8 inch (14.73cm) Super Retina XDR screen. It is 71.4mm (2.81 inches) wide. Like the Pro Max it is 8.1mm (0.32 inches) deep. It is 71.4mm (2.81 inches) wide.
The iPhone 11 is the mid-sized of the iPhone 11 range. It weighs in at 194g (6.84 ounces),and has a 6.1 inch (15.49cm) Liquid Retina HD display. It is 71.4mm (2.81 inches) wide. It is 150.9mm (5.94 inches) tall, 75.7mm (2.98 inches) wide, and 8.3mm (0.33 inches) deep.
The iPhone 11 Pro Max is the flagship phone in the range, it's the biggest, tallest, widest and heaviest of the three iPhone 11s. It weighs in at 226g (7.97 ounces) and, like the iPhone 11 Pro, it has a 6.5 inch (16.51cm) Super Retina XDR screen. It is 158.0mm (6.22 inches) high, 77.8mm (3.06 inches) wide and 8.1mm (0.32 inches) deep.
The iPhone 11 Pro, comes with a different battery to the range's entry-level iPhone and flagship iPhone 11 Pro Max. While they all use non-user upgradeable Lith-ion batteries, they have slightly different different capacities:
- iPhone 11 Pro – 3.83 V 11.67 Wh (3046 mAh)
- iPhone 11 – 3.83 V 11.91 Wh (3110 mAh) battery
- iPhone 11 Pro Max – 3.79 V 15.04 Wh (3969 mAh)
The iPhone 11 is the entry-level unit to the range and comes with a 6.1 inch (15.49cm) Liquid Retina HD display. It used LCD technology with 1792x828-pixel resolution at 326 ppi.
The flagship iPhone 11 Pro Max has a 6.5 inch (16.51cm) Super Retina XDR screen also using OLED technology with 2688x1242-pixel resolution at 458 ppi.
Best providers for Apple iPhone 11 Pro deals?
Aside from Apple's own stores and websites the iPhone 11 Pro is available at every major outlet from supermarkets to specialist network stores both bricks and mortar and online.
Apple iPhone 11 Pro alternatives
- Samsung S20 – Samsung's smartphones are the top-sellers globally in mid and high-priced markets. The mid-range Samsung Galaxy S20 can do battle with the Apple iPhone 11 Pro. It even offers 5G which the Apple iPhone Pro does not.
- Apple – Apple's own iPhone XS is still good alternatives to the 11 Pro, as is the iPhone 11 Pro Max if you need more size for a more money. Equally 2020 iPhone SE (2nd generation) is a great way into the iPhone family
- Huawei – the Huawei P40 Pro can certainly contend with the Apple iPhone 11 Pro in terms of price and specifications
- OnePlus – OnePlus and its OnePlus 7T Pro smartphones is an Android-based phone that feature excellent an display, USB-C interface, and is generally lower priced than the iPhone 11 Pro. However, the cameras on the OnePlus 7T leaves something to be desired.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Apple iPhone 11 Pro phone any good?
If you're already tied into Apple's product-range or if you're looking for a first (highly-specced) phone then, yes, the Apple iPhone 11 Pro is certainly worth considering. The iPhone XS, which the iPhone 11 Pro replaced, is also worth your consideration in terms of specifications if you're considering upgrading or even switching to the Apple eco-system.
What colours does the iPhone 11 Pro come in?
The Apple iPhone 11 Pro has a textured matt glass display and a stainless steel design. It is available in four colours: Midnight Green, Silver, Space Grey, and Gold.
Is the iPhone 11 Pro 5G capable.?
No, the Apple iPhone 11 Pro is not 5G capable.
Can I connect Apple iPhone 11 Pro to my TV?
Yes you can. There are a number of ways of achieving this depending on your TV's connections. You can buy a separate Lightning to HDMI connector. If you own an Apple TV box you can also stream directly to that from your phone. There is also the option to use Apple's Home app to link with TVs via Bluetooth.
Can I get Apple iPhone 11 Pro SIM-free?
Yes. Most providers will sell you an Apple iPhone 11 Pro handset without demanding you take out a contract. At the time of writing, you can now get refurbished Apple iPhone 11s from many providers, which can save you a lot of money off the asking price, and still come with a full warranty.
Can I buy refurbished Apple iPhone 11 Pro phones?
At the time of writing, the Apple iPhone 11 Pro is shortly to superseded, so more and more refurbished units will certainly start to appear. However, while refurbished iPhone 11 Pros are available, don't expect to see too much of a price drop from new.