About Huawei P30 Pro deals
In this guide
- What are Huawei P30 Pro phones?
- What models of P30 Pro are available?
- Huawei P30 Pro features
- Huawei P30 Pro 5G phones
- Huawei P30 Pro – best providers
- Alternatives to the P30 Pro
- Frequently asked questions
Huawei's P30 Pro was the brand's flagship model back towards the beginning of 2019, and ahs since been superseded by the P40 Pro. However, that's not the whole story. Since Google abandoned support for Huawei with its Android operating system, the manufacturer has had to implement its own on newer models like the P40 and P40 Pro.
Harmony OS, as it is called, is problematic in that it does not allow access to the Google Play store, and therefore many of the apps you would find there are not available. The P30 Pro, then, is still the best Huawei phone you can buy that still uses Android, and therefore has access to the wealth of apps available on other Android phones.
What are Huawei P30 Pro phones?
Launched in March of 2019, the P30 Pro was Huawei's flagship model. Running Android 9.0, as mentioned above, gives it a huge edge over the newer Harmony OS-loaded P40 Pro, and makes it much sought after. Huawei is known for manufacturing smartphones that are bleeding edge in terms of features and technology, but at a cheaper price than similarly specced phones from Apple and Samsung.
What models of P30 Pro are available?
There are only two models of P30 Pro available, but they do come with some notable differences. The original, released in 2019, and the 'New Edition' – an updated version for 2020 with a smattering of additional features. Here are the main features of both models, along with what differs one from the other. Be sure and check which version you are getting when buying or taking out a contract on a P30 Pro.
- Huawei P30 Pro – The P30 Pro features Android 9.0, a 6.47" OLED display, fast Octa-core Cortex A76 processor, 8GB RAM, up to 512GB storage (128GB as standard), a variety of cameras up to 40 megapixels, fingerprint and face recognition unlock, and dual SIM capability. Everything you could possibly want, in essence, though both the 2019 and updated 2020 models are notable by their absence of 5G capability
- Huawei P30 Pro 2020 – The updated 2020 version of the P30 Pro arrives with all of the above, and some interesting spec boosts. For one we now have an Android 10.1 operating system. Then there is 256GB of storage as standard and a new voice assistant known as 'Celia'
Huawei P30 Pro features
With most of the basic specs the same between the two available models, here we can cover in a little more detail those they both share. If you want to read about the differences between the two you need look no further than the section right above this one.
- Processor – In the P30 Pro you will get Huawei's Kirin 980 Octa-core processor. There is a load more technical detail to be found on this, but honestly, it's all the sort of jargon that bogs down the main point to be made: It is fast, capable, and ensures a smooth and speedy user experience
- Screen – The P30 Pro's FHD+ (2340x1080 pixels) OLED screen measures 6.47 inches from corner to corner. Huawei notes that due to the rounded corners on the 'dewdrop' display, this measurement is taken as if the corners are flattened out. It will look slightly smaller than this in your hand, but you will still get 6.47 inches of visible display. Which is exactly the point
- Cameras – There are four rear-facing cameras on the P30 Pro's 'Leica Quad Camera'. A 40MP wide angle lens, a 20MP ultra-wide angle lens, an 8MP telephoto (zoom) lens and another camera that supports all the others. Plus there is a 32MP front-mounted camera for selfies and such
- Memory and storage – Both models come with 8GB of RAM, and you can choose storage amounts of 128GB, 256GB or 512GB
- Battery life – The 4200 mAh battery found in the P30 Pro is more than enough for a full-day charge
- Fingerprint and face unlock – The P30 Pro has both. So the phone will unlock when you either point it at your face or press your thumb to the in-screen fingerprint scanner
Huawei P30 Pro – best providers
Unlike phones from the likes of Apple and Samsung, you won't find the Huawei P30 available from all providers. A few providers have ceased stocking Huawei phones due to the various ongoing controversies surrounding the brand and the maker's adoption of the rather limiting Harmony OS. You can still get the P30 Pro from…
Alternative phone brands
The P30 Pro was last year's flagship phone from Huawei, and the updated model for 2020, or 'New Edition' means it has remained such, even in light of the arrival of the P40 and P40 Pro. Alternatives, then, are thinner on the ground than you might expect, since few brands make phones with such high-end features. Here is our pick of alternatives.
- Apple – The iPhone 11 (not the Pro) is priced similarly to the Huawei flagship phones. However, iPhone means you'll be tied into the iOS operating system. If you've historically had Android phones, this means you will no longer have access to your apps, and that makes Apple's iPhones a decent alternative with certain conditions
- Samsung Galaxy – Up there with the best Android phones available, Samsung Galaxy phones are every bit the match of Huawei's best offerings. They will cost you a little more, though, generally. Samsung's latest flagship models in the S20 range have the advantage of remaining within the Android family, and are not hamstrung in the same way Huawei's P40 range is by Harmony OS
- Sony – A top end, Sony Xperia phones will cost you similar money to Huawei P30 Pros. We're not all that enamoured with Sony phones here at Cable.co.uk, though, mainly because we feel there are better options for the money. However, those of you who are brand loyal may consider the name more important than other considerations
- OnePlus – Is a Chinese manufacturer whose aim is to offer you top-specced handsets for less money. To that end, the OnePlus 8 Pro is similarly priced to the Huawei P30 and P30 Pro
Frequently asked questions
What is the Huawei P30 Pro?
The P30 Pro is 2019's flagship smartphone from Huawei. And although the Huawei P40 and P40 Pro now supersede it, it remains popular due to both a 2020 update of the P30 Pro, and the fact that the P30 Pro is still an Android phone and not hamstrung by Huawei's proprietary operating system: Harmony OS.
Are Huawei P30 Pro phones any good?
Yes. In terms of power, features and design they will give the very best phones from Apple and Samsung a run for their money. In terms of price they have both those brands beat. You absolutely get more for your money with a Huawei P30 Pro than similarly specced competing phones.
Can I connect Huawei P30 Pro phones to my TV?
Yes. This can be accomplished either through screen mirroring with a Chromecast or Google Home, or you can purchase a separate USB-C to HDMI cable and connect the phone directly. There are also some third-party 'docking' solutions where you can have the dock sat by your TV and simply place the phone in the dock to view.
Can I get Huawei P30 Pro phones SIM-free?
Yes. Most providers will offer these handsets contract-free.
Can I buy refurbished Huawei P30 Pro phones?
Yes. More so, at this time, with the 2019 model, though, rather than the 2020 model which is still pretty new at the time of writing.