How to cancel Tesco mobile
By Aaron Howdle | Monday, February 8th 2021
It is easier than ever to switch your mobile provider thanks to Ofcom’s Text to Switch ruling. These days all it takes is a text message to your provider, which will reply with a code. You use this number when signing up with your new provider to ensure a hassle-free switch.
Leaving Tesco Mobile is an easy process. In this guide, we explain what PAC and STAC codes are, and how to use them, what to watch out for, and how to find the best new mobile deal on the market.
Checklist: Things to do before you cancel Tesco Mobile
There are a couple of things you should do before giving Tesco Mobile its marching orders.
- Check your contract – When you get a handset from Tesco Mobile you end up with two contracts. One contract is for your usage plan and the other is for your phone. The phone contract can be 12, 18, 24, 30 or 36 months long. Whereas your usage contract can be changed or cancelled according to the length of its contract. If you have several months left on your handset or usage contracts, you will need to pay a fee to leave. To find out what your early termination fee is you can text ‘INFO’ to 85075 from your Tesco Mobile
- Find Tesco Mobile’s contact details – You can contact Tesco Mobile using its online chat facility at tescomobile.com, or you can call on 0345 3014455 form a landline or 4455 from a Tesco mobile phone
- Find a new mobile provider – As soon as you have decided to leave, start checking out the deals you might be interested in from other providers. The latest smartphone may have an incredible camera, but a lot of people have come to the point where they don’t need more features from their handset. If you are one of those people and are happy with your current phone, there are plenty of SIM only deals on the market
Cancelling Tesco Mobile if you’re still in contract
If you still have months left on your contract, it is worth staying with Tesco Mobile until your contract has ended. Leaving early will incur an early termination fee, which usually adds-up to the full remaining cost of your contract minus a small, single-figure percentage.
You can find out how much your early termination fee will be by texting ‘INFO’ to 85075 from your Tesco Mobile.
When you can cancel Three Mobile for free
A sometimes hefty early termination fee can be expected by those wishing to leave their contract early. However in a few specific circumstances, you can get out of your contract before it has ended.
- Within the initial cooling-off period – You can return your phone or cancel your SIM-only contract within the cooling off period. For pay-monthly contracts you have 14 working days from the date you receive your device or SIM. Pay-as you-go SIMS can be returned within 30 days of purchase
- If Tesco Mobile increases prices – If Tesco Mobile raises its prices without giving you 30 days notice, you are free to leave your contract. Equally if the price rise is higher than the Retail Price Index rate of inflation, you may leave your contract early
- If your contract runs out within the next 30 days – If you are within a month of the end of your contract, you are free to sign up to a new deal and won’t face any termination charges
Cancelling Tesco Mobile if you’re out of contract
A month before your Tesco Mobile contract ends, you should receive notice to that effect. Once you have been notified, you are free to begin hunting for a new provider, or a new deal from Tesco Mobile.
Now you are free to look for a new deal, you can start the search for the latest handset, or if you want to save some money, there are plenty of SIM only deals on the market with bags of data. You can check out the latest offers from various providers on our handset and SIM deal comparison page.
Customers with a pay as you go SIM can cancel anytime. If you have a recurring payment set up, this will stop when you cancel.
Request a PAC code to take your Three Mobile number with you
Since Ofcom mandated the Text to Switch service, you can easily take your current mobile number with you to your new provider. You will need to request a PAC (Porting Authorisation Code) from Tesco Mobile. To get your PAC number, text PAC to 65075 from your Tesco Mobile phone. Alternatively you can call Tesco Mobile on 0345 3014455 from a landline or 4455 from a Tesco mobile phone or use the online chat facility on its website.
Your PAC code lasts for 30 days, during which time you can give it to your new provider. The PAC code allows your new provider to do everything for you, so you don’t need to cancel your previous contract, as it will be done automatically when the PAC is used.
Request a STAC code to leave Tesco Mobile without taking your mobile number with you
If you are not bothered about taking your number with you or you actually need a new phone number, you should request a STAC (Standard Termination Authorisation Code) from Tesco Mobile. By providing a STAC code to your new provider you are letting them know that you do not need your old number. The use of your STAC number when signing a new deal, will also terminate your Tesco Mobile contract.
It is important to give your STAC to your new provider, otherwise your old Tesco Mobile contract can continue rolling over and you will be charged for two services.
Cancelling without moving to another network
If you are leaving Tesco Mobile but not taking out a contract with a new provider (when moving abroad for example). You do not need a STAC or PAC number. Just get in touch with Tesco Mobile by phone, or online chat to terminate your contract. You need to give 30 days notice to leave.
Frequently asked questions
How can I find out what charges I will have to pay to Tesco Mobile if I leave early?
You can find out how much your early termination fees would be by texting ‘INFO’ to 85075 from your Tesco Mobile. Alternatively you can phone Tesco Mobile on 0345 3014455 from a landline or 4455 from a Tesco mobile phone or use it’s online chat facility.
How long does it take to activate my new mobile deal?
It’s usual for activation to take a day, or possibly 2 days if it’s the weekend..
Will switching to a new provider automatically cancel my Direct Debit with Tesco Mobile?
No. The PAC and STAC information passed to your new provider, causes your Tesco Mobile contract to be cancelled, but you should cancel your direct debit yourself.
Can I switch onto a different SIM-only deal with Tesco Mobile before my phone contract expires?
To change your pay monthly tariff, or to change from pay as you go to pay monthly, you’ll need to speak to Customer Care by calling 4455 from your Tesco Mobile or 0345 301 4455 from a landline.
Can I get a SIM-only deal from a different network if I bought my handset from Three Mobile?
Some Tesco Mobile phones are not locked and some are, if you find your handset is locked, Tesco Mobile will unlock it for free. You will need to complete an online unlocking request form on the Tesco Mobile website.