About broadband and phone deals
By Dan Howdle | Friday, November 15th 2019
In this guide
- Best unlimited broadband and phone deals
- Do I need a phone line for broadband and phone?
- What broadband speed you need
- Things to consider when choosing broadband and phone
- Which providers offer broadband and phone deals?
- Frequently asked questions
Most internet service providers offer broadband and phone deals – it’s hard to find one without the other. With so many options to choose from you might find it difficult to know where to begin. We’re here to help you find and compare the best broadband and landline deals to suit your needs.
Best unlimited broadband and phone deals
Almost all the top broadband and home phone providers offer unlimited broadband and anytime calls packages. Unlimited broadband and phone is ideal for families and homes who regulary use a landline phone to make calls to other UK landlines. Our broadband and phone comparison will show you the best deals in your area.
Do I need a phone line for broadband and phone?
You might wonder why you need a landline when most people just use their mobiles these days. Your internet connection comes into your home via the phone line so most broadband providers require you to have a landline. Since you need to have a telephone line, you may as well get the best package deal you can find.
The two main things you need to think about when choosing a broadband and phone package are:
- What broadband speed you need
- What calling package suits you best
Do I need standard or superfast broadband?
Determining which broadband speed you need is fairly straightforward. Standard is sufficient for general use such as surfing the web and using social media. It tends to work well for individuals, couples and smaller households.
If you plan on streaming a lot of movies or have a large family where everyone is online all of the time, you’ll probably want a speedier service. Still not sure? Our guide to broadband speeds should help you out.
Things to consider when choosing broadband and phone
When looking at landline deals, there are a few things to think about – fortunately they’re fairly consistent across all providers. You’re likely to find the following offers:
- Pay as you go (PAYG) calls – you only pay for the calls you make based on the standard rate
- Free weekend calls – any call you make on the weekend is free but check the hours because they vary between providers
- Free evening and weekend calls – as above but with weekday evenings included. Again, check to see which hours are included during the free periods
- Free anytime calls – you can make free calls anytime from your landline to other landlines and 0870 numbers
- Free international calls – you can make free calls to foreign landlines. Make sure you check the list of countries included in this deal as they can vary depending upon the provider
Knowing what’s important to you will help you make the best choice when it comes to home phone packages. Remember to read the small print to make sure the deal is as good as it seems.
Which providers offer broadband and phone deals?
Every internet provider in the UK offers a broadband and phone package together with the line rental included in the price. Here’s a quick look at what each has to offer:
- BT broadband and phone – Extras include BT Call Protect (no more nuisance calls) BT TV and BT Sport for free or at very little extra cost. Look out for their sales for the best value
- Virgin Media broadband and phone – They offer broadband speeds up to five times faster than other providers and have call packages that include free calls to Virgin Mobile numbers
- Sky broadband and phone – Include Sky TV as part of their landline and broadband packages and you can get a great deal if you keep a look out for their promotions
- EE broadband and phone – All of their broadband packages start with PAYG calls as standard, but you can add on options like ‘Anytime to UK landlines’ and ‘Anytime UK and international calls’ for an extra cost
- Plusnet broadband and phone – They too offer PAYG as standard and include calls to mobiles in all of their add-on calling packages
- TalkTalk broadband and phone – One of the cheapest options, TalkTalk offers no-frills broadband and phone deals that are locked in for the whole contract
- Shell Energy broadband and phone – All First Utility Broadband packages come with PAYG calls as standard with free evening and weekend calls, free anytime calls and free international calls as add-ons
- Vodafone broadband and phone – They only offer fibre broadband and PAYG as standard but you can add on other landline extras like free anytime calls to mobile or international calls
- John Lewis broadband and phone – Free evening and weekend calls come as standard from John Lewis and you can add additional options like their mobile bolt-on or anytime international calls
- Post Office broadband and phone – They offer a whopping eight different calling packages to choose from, which can seem overwhelming, but they’re worth a look if you really like a landline
- SSE broadband and phone – Another PAYG as standard, SSE gives you a choice of three additional packages to add onto your contract
Frequently asked questions
Who’s the cheapest broadband and phone provider?
This varies day-to-day so we update our cheapest broadband deals on a daily basis. Our featured deal is at the top, followed by the cheapest deal, and so on.
Can I get broadband without a phone line?
Because broadband comes into your home via the landline you still have to pay a line rental as part of your internet package. You might see an offer for ‘broadband only’ but you’ll still pay for the phone line and you won’t be able to make calls from it.
Are there home phone deals without broadband?
You may have a difficult time finding a broadband provider who offers a phone deal without broadband. It’s much easier to find broadband without a phone deal.
Do I still have to pay line rental?
In short, yes. Your broadband comes into your house through the phone line. You may not see the term very often anymore because the regulator Ofcom made providers include the rental price in the overall package cost.
Can I keep my phone number?
Yes, moving your number, or porting, is a normal part of the process and your new provider will take care of it for you.
Will I have internet and phone right up until my new services are running?
Yes, providers take great care to make sure you’re not left without services. Any downtime you might experience is unlikely to last more than an hour or two.
Can I get a mobile deal with my broadband?
Yes, many providers, including some of the smaller ones, offer SIM deals to go with their broadband and phone packages.
Do broadband and phone deals include line rental?
Yes, all our broadband and phone prices include line rental charges so the price you see is the price you pay.